Share Subset of Features from Referenced Enterprise DB Feature Class as Editable Feature Service

12-04-2022 04:48 PM
CoryBowlin
New Contributor III

Hello, I am wondering if it possible to share only a subset of features from an enterprise database as an editable feature service? This would be similar to creating a view layer with hosted data with a feature query enabled. The data would be referenced to the DB, not copied to the server. 

I already know about filtering the data or applying a definition query prior to or after sharing, but these two options still allow the end user to turn off the query and access all features.  I would want the limitation enforced on the users and not able to be turned off by end users. A database view will not fit the need either, as it does not support editing. 

I am also aware of the option to limit editing to features owned by the user, but this does not quite fit the need either. The users would still be able to view other features and unable to edit features they do not own. Is there any options I may be missing?

Requirement: 

1. Editable Feature service

2. Source = Registered enterprise database feature class, referenced data

3. Only a subset of features is accessible and editable in the feature service. 

4. The subset setting cannot be modified by non-owners of the feature service. End users would not be able to gain access to features not part of the queried subset. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
graeme_hill
New Contributor III

A feature layer view created in portal should cover what you need to do. Don't share the initial feature layer with anyone (everything would be editable), only share the filtered view with the edit users. Create hosted feature layer views—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

Cheers, Graeme
0 Kudos
CoryBowlin
New Contributor III

hey Graeme, thanks for the reply. I am using referenced data from an enterprise geodatabase. “Create hosted feature layer views” is for hosted data only. I am looking for a similar solution, but it has to work with referenced sde feature class. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

I have only seen this achieved by using third-party solutions that impose the definition queries you mention.  There is nothing I'm aware of out of the box.  Have a look on the ArcGIS Marketplace here:

https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis-marketplace/listing/products/414b815740f94a88b5fc8779c2cad2dc 

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
CoryBowlin
New Contributor III

thanks Scott, what a bummer. This seems like such a basic need too. I would have expected esri to develop this for referenced data before a hosted workflow. Thank you for the market place resource! 

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Not an issue on the marketplace link.  

I hear you on the other front.  I think it relates to the heaviness of the arcsoc.exe architectural style of federated feature services and the relative lightness and scalability of the hosted approach.  

There is  some overlap of the federated approach and the OGCs WFS feature service which requires ‘the table’ to be presented, rather than a view.  

In both cases it’s legacy decisions not supporting the use case you suggest.  The security.manager approach is something I’ve used to good effect in the past, although I used the old proxy approach.  The more modern SOI approach is really robust and flexible, and we’ll architected.

Scott Tansley
Consulting Architect (ArcGIS Enterprise)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos