"/" intersection connector does not work in geocoding service

09-13-2021 12:36 PM
MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone, 

I have a composite locator with road centerlines. When I enter an intersection with "/" as the intersection connector in ArcGIS Pro, it returns me the correct intersections. When I share the locator to my enterprise portal and try the same thing, I get an error 400 saying it can't complete the operation or it provides an incorrect result. 

I have seen that there was a bug in Desktop for this that ESRI said they would never address: https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA5NjE2OA== but I believe they fixed it in ArcGIS Pro, but not on ArcGIS Server (we are using 10.8.1). 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any other connector I put into the locator will work in the service, just not "/". It's a big deal for us because all of our 911 dispatchers have been trained for years to use "/"

Thanks in advance!

Michael  

9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I haven't actually run into this particular issue, but I am running into all sorts of other geocoding and data issues related to 10.7.1 and Pro 2.8.2 as well ad Server 10.8.1.  Seems like those of us that decide to upgrade get punished by using the latest technology...

That should just about do it....
MichaelBouvet
New Contributor III

Interesting... what are these issues you are having? 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Umm.... Let's see....

With ArcGIS 2.8.2, I can't source data from server 10.7.1.  I'm currently having a problem with arcpy creating locators with data sourced from AGOL. I've upgraded and de-graded ArcGIS Pro so many times I've lost count of the issues I've encountered.

Short response to your OP: when I worked in 9-1-1, I gave them one choice for an intersection locator; the ampersand (&).  I know 9-1-1 dispatchers can be a tough crowd but my guess is you can get them to change before you see resolution on the ESRI side of things.

That should just about do it....
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

If you have created a locator with the Create Locator tool based on the Street Address role and have modified the intersection connectors property in the locator properties in Pro 2.7 or later to include the slash (/), you must publish to Enterprise 10.9 or later to make use of the modified intersection connectors, side offset, end offset settings. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/tips-for-improving-geocoding-quality.ht...

0 Kudos
MasaoMatsuoka
Occasional Contributor

Just wanted to confirm my understanding is correct or not when you said "must publish to Enterprise 10.9 or later to make use of the modified intersection connectors, side offset, end offset settings".

I created a locator using ArcGIS Pro 2.9, and our ArcGIS Server is 10.8.1. If I customize side offset and publish it to the server, the side offset will not be honored in my case unless we upgrade our server to 10.9. Is this correct? 

Thanks

Masao

Masao Matsuoka
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

That is correct, the locator created in Pro 2.9 with custom offsets will need to be published to ArcGIS Server 10.9 or later in order for those offsets to be honored when using the geocode service.

0 Kudos
WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

@ShanaBritt I have stumbled upon this thread and noticed that intersection connectors simply do not work in Enterprise 10.8.1 for me when I publish a geocoder using the Street Address role.  Either by specifying them or by leaving the intersection connectors setting blank.  It does work fine in Pro though.  Are there default connectors or does nothing work?  Do we need to upgrade to portal to 10.9 to get this functionality?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@WalidAlmasri1 ,

When sharing or publishing a locator based on the Street Address role that supports custom offsets and intersection connectors with the Create Locator tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.7 or later, you must be signed in, with publisher or administrator privileges, to ArcGIS Enterprise10.9 or later with at least one federated server to maintain the settings.

The note on the following help topic lists functionality and Server versions that support various features. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/share-a-locator.htm

The default intersection connectors like (&, @, |, and \) should work in Enterprise 10.8.1. Do you get the same results in ArcGIS Pro when searching for the intersection in the Locate Pane? What are you using as an intersection connector?

0 Kudos
WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

@ShanaBritt I ended up publishing to another Enterprise Portal we have (which is on 10.9) and everything is working as expected.  We will have to upgrade for this functionality.

Thanks!

0 Kudos