How do I set tiling scheme origin of a Vector Tiling Package?

Jump to solution
02-01-2023 03:41 AM
AdamPigg
New Contributor II

Hi

We are using ArcGIS enterprise 10.9.1 and pro 2.9.

We have a suite of aerial image caches and elevation models, all using the same custom tiling scheme, origin and spatial reference.  These all work fine in the 3d scene viewer.

The problem comes when we want to add a vector map layer from a vector tile package to the scene.

The tile package is created in Pro using the same tiling scheme from the image, however, when this is added as a portal item (and checked manually inside the zip file), the origin x/y value is different.

We cannot find a way to set the origin for a VTPK, and if it doesnt match, the 3d scene viewer rejects it.

With no other layers on the 3d scene, the VTPK loads ok, but cant be mixed with other data.

We re-cached one of the elevation models using the same origin from the VTPK, and we could add both to the scene fine, so the problem definitely seems to be the tiling origin for the VTPK.

Can anyone suggest how to set this correctly?

We tried clipping the VBM to the extent of the elevation model, but it still chooses its own origin value when creating the tile package.

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamPigg
New Contributor II

Ok, some more info ... the above is not quite correct, I think the real issue is that for a raster cache, the tiles can begin anywhere from the lower-right of the origin.  For a vector cache, the "root tile" must align with the origin, so there must be a zoom level far enough out at level 0 for that tile to line up.  The fix is therefore to add extra zoom levels only.  Pro could certainly make this easier!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

This is an incomplete answer but I know I was able to solve this problem in my deployment. If I recall correctly, the XY origin of the tiling scheme needs to fall within the overall extent of the aerial/elevation model. I think I actually wound up setting the extent of the map used to build the vtpk in the map settings properties before creating the vtpk and then using that in the build vtpk tool but I could be wrong. It's been a few years since I figured it out and now I'm kinda just hoping it doesn't break.

0 Kudos
AdamPigg
New Contributor II

So, I think we figured it out

All our raster caches are 256x256.  The Vector Tile Package must be 512x512.  Because of this, LOD 0 size is effectively halved, causing the tile origin to be outside.  Pro was therefore moving the origin to the furthest place out possible.

By adding some extra LOD values, we were able to create a cache with the correct origin.  Now it seems we might have to re-cache all the imagery 512 tiles, and work out what LOD values to use.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AdamPigg
New Contributor II

Ok, some more info ... the above is not quite correct, I think the real issue is that for a raster cache, the tiles can begin anywhere from the lower-right of the origin.  For a vector cache, the "root tile" must align with the origin, so there must be a zoom level far enough out at level 0 for that tile to line up.  The fix is therefore to add extra zoom levels only.  Pro could certainly make this easier!

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Agreed, it's really not very intuitive but I have to image workflows like this will be more and more common in the future. Glad you figured it out!

0 Kudos