GDA2020 : Will moving to new coordinate system require system rebuild ?

08-04-2016 10:23 PM
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

We are starting to scope out what we may need to do to implement GDA2020 once the coordinate system has been defined and the NTv2 grids become available at the beginning of 2017.  I have only touched the surface of this – but was hoping for a quick reality check on some of my initial thoughts.

• ArcMap

As far as ArcMap goes – it all looks reasonably clear. Once registered with the EPSG and included with the software at some later release, once I upgrade ArcMap, it is just another projection and coordinate system. Just an ArcMap upgrade to support a new coordinate system and transform.

• Server

It is not entirely clear to me what is going on with server (both ArcSDE and Server [Publishing]).  I suspect the new coordinate system and transform forms part of the server software – so if I want my ArcSDE data or my published services to support GDA2020 – I will need to do server upgrades.  Is this the case?

• The data

What I was hoping for was to use some ArcSDE magic and ST_GEOM sql to just say : upgrade <feature_class> transform GEOM to GDA2020.  (you get the drift).  Then all the feature classes just become GDA2020.  Magic.

What I am thinking is it will not be that easy.  I think I am going to have to run a tool that transforms the data into a new feature class.  This has some interesting challenges in relation to:

• Versioned editing: 
  • Archives :
  • Relationship classes :
  • Topologies:

So … to the heart of the matter:

If I have to export all the feature classes to transform them, and I have to upgrade the servers to support the new coordinate system – then for all intents and purposes – I am looking at a complete system rebuild – all new data on all new servers, with the additional challenges of moving complex data structures.

Is this correct, or am I just missing something really obvious?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

The short answer is yes - plan for a full system upgrade to ArcGIS 10.6.

This was posted on the GDA2020 forum:

http://gda2020.invisionzone.com/topic/46-gda2020-the-arcgis-platform/?do=findComment&comment=110

Hello Bradley,

ArcGIS 10.5.1 & ArcGIS Pro 2.0 provides partial GDA2020 support. For full GDA2020 support then you need to be at ArcGIS 10.6 or ArcGIS Pro 2.1. At this stage Esri has no plans to provide support in earlier versions. However, with a good business case to the Esri Australia support team earlier versions may be accommodated. 

Cheers

Gordon

Edited April 17 by Gordon Sumerling

Cheers,
Mark
0 Kudos