Does a layer that's turned off still make a server request?

06-01-2022 11:58 AM
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I'm recently the primary server manager at my organization and I'm trying to get a handle on what behaviors actually make a request of an ArcGIS Server. Some context: I have a heavy-lifting mapping application, built by a third party, that references a web map in our orgs Portal environment. The web map has a 6 map services of varying degrees of complexity - some have nearly a hundred layers, others 6-12. I'm trying to correctly tune these services because they are available (and used) by a large number of users throughout the work day, though each individual user will have different combinations of map services in use, and within them different subsets of layers active or toggled off. When it comes to making requests of the ArcGIS Server (federated, 10.8.1), if a map service is toggled off within the map, does it still make a request to the server if no layers are drawing? Are there any considerations I'm not examining closely enough to tune the services well (I've set the map services to dedicated pooling 2 min 3 max, and extended the timeouts slightly).

3 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Zach,

If a layer is truned off in the web app then a map refresh will not trigger a request for that layer.  It is easy to test this.  Open the web app in Chrome and trun off all layers but one.  Now open the Chrome DevTools (press <F12>).  Choose the "Network" tab in DevTools.  Now pan the map a small amount and you should see just one request for a map service.  Turn on another map service and pan the map again - you should see two requests.  It helps to clear the records in DevTools between each pan of the map:

ChromeConsole.pngI hope this helps.  DevTools is very useful for inspecting the requests that are sent to your servers.  You should check out some of the DevTools tutorials.

Bernei.

ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, that is very helpful! Based on what I mentioned above, are there any other best practices I'm missing that would help to reduce service response times?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @ZachBodenner,

> ... are there any other best practices I'm missing that would help to reduce service response times?

Some resources to check out:

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos