Custom Print Service Failing

Jump to solution
07-07-2022 03:27 PM
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 9.1 and are trying to publish custom printing services from ArcPro 3.0.

We have followed very closely to the two resources listed below. And we are experiencing inconsistent results.

Share custom layouts for printing from ArcGIS Pro

Enabling High-Quality Printing in Web Applications

The error we are now consistenly recieving is "Error executing tool. Export Web Map : Missing or invalid layout template file. Failed to execute (Export Web Map)."

We have tried a variety of layouts, from including titles and overview maps like in the video, to including nothing but the WEBMAP_MAP_FRAME. It will print the "MAP ONLY" option, but when we try printing any custom layouts it will fail.

The default printing service works fine, and the custom services we built in ArcMap are still working, but anything in Pro is failing us.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

I encountered the exact same situation, Levi. Ended up downgrading Pro to 2.9 but if you've saved your layout files via 3.0 you won't be able to open them in the older version. In that case I had to remote into another computer, open them up in 3.0, and then copy/paste them into a 2.9 project on my primary machine. Overwrote the service and it seems to be working again. Yuck!

View solution in original post

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

hello all,

We are using ArcGIS Enterprise 9.1 and are trying to publish custom printing services from ArcPro 3.0.

When you publish* a print service from ArcGIS Pro 3.0, your Enterprise server must be 11.0 or above.

* more precisely when you create a layout template (aka pagx file) from Pro 3.0.

As you know ArcGIS Pro 3.0 is a major release. Document types such as projects, maps etc. that you create in 3.0 can't be directly opened in 2x. If you must share with older client, then you need share that out as project package, map package etc.

Since Enterprise 10.9.1 is an older version and it not aware of 3.0 changes, a print service running on 10.9.1 can't recognize layout templates created from 3.0 (even when you publish it from 3.0).

Please let me know if you have any question.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

I encountered the exact same situation, Levi. Ended up downgrading Pro to 2.9 but if you've saved your layout files via 3.0 you won't be able to open them in the older version. In that case I had to remote into another computer, open them up in 3.0, and then copy/paste them into a 2.9 project on my primary machine. Overwrote the service and it seems to be working again. Yuck!

LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply! You solved the inconsistency issue we were having. I scaled back and created one and it seems to be "working". Now we're running into issues with printing from webmaps that have secured services in them. It gives us this error:

"Error executing tool. Export Web Map : Failed to create layer from service at https://xxxxxxxx. Failed to execute (Export Web Map)."

Did you run into this issue at all?

BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Oh, shoot. I did indeed struggle with that in the past, but I can't for the life of me remember how I fixed it! It turned out being something really simple in the end. If I remember I'll let you know.

LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Seems like we struggled with printing secured services years ago when we were creating printing services from ArcMap, but I cannot remember how we solved it back then. Hopefully ESRI get's this sorted out soon.

Thanks for all your help! You saved the day! 

BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Just had hazy memory come up, Levi: What are the security settings for the map service you're trying to print secured services with? I see that mine is set to me only, and I vaguely recall that publicly shared print services aren't allowed to print secured items--something about malicious actors being able to gain backdoor access to secured items via the public-facing print tool. Might be misremembering but hopefully it's something...

0 Kudos
LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

The printing service was shared to just me, and the map service was shared to a specific group. I tried sharing the printing service with that group to see if that might sneaky work, but to no avail.

0 Kudos
BenClark
Occasional Contributor

Hmm, how frustrating. Have a look at this document, beginning with page three. I remember looking at this stuff too.

LeviRoberts
Occasional Contributor

Just talked with ESRI support and they seem to think it has to do with the fact that we use a self signed certificate on our ArcGIS Server machine. They recommend adding a domain certificate and a trusted root certificate. Will have to work with our IT to implement. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

It's unfortunate that this is an issue that users might encounter with Pro print services and the version of enterprise they are on, so thank goodness there is this discussion about this issue where I can understand the root cause of my issue and a workaround that I can utilize.