Combining federated Portal and Server into one virtual machine - How?

Jump to solution
08-09-2022 11:51 AM
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

My 10.6.1 Portal is running on a physical machine with an old operating system that doesn't support upgrades. My WebAdaptor server running on HyperV with old operating system that doesn't support upgrades.

My 10.6.1 Server with Image Extension on older virtual machine, also with older operating system that doesn't support more than one level of upgrades, needs to move to new virtual environment.

My idea: move Portal and Server onto the same, new virtual machine at 10.6.1, then upgrade once they are running.

Will this work?   Should I forget about doing it myself, and get a quote from professional services? My IT guy's engineers will set up the environments.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

This documentation may help you determine which approach fits best for your organization. The 'join site' method is common for this workflow when downtime can be tolerated, whereas the WebGISDR method involves replicating the deployment to a new machine with certain caveats/requirements. The WebGISDR tool would only work for this if your ArcGIS Server site is federated with the Portal for ArcGIS organization.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/migration-strategies.htm

-- Chris Pawlyszyn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StevenBowden
New Contributor III

Hi Amy,

How would you be looking at "moving" the old portal and server onto the same new virtual machine?  To me that would require a re-install/re-build of the software and then a re-configure of apps that use the old hostname to point them to the services on the new hostname.  So if you are going to do that, then why not just re-build with the latest version that you want to go with on the new server and then migrate services across to the new server and then incrementally re-configure the apps to point to the new server.  

This approach would also really depend on how you are licensed and the number of services etc that you would need to migrate across.

It would least give you the chance to work out what doesn't work in the new version and fix as necessary as you go.

The process might talk a bit longer but it might be a "smoother" process.

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
ChristopherPawlyszyn
Esri Contributor

This documentation may help you determine which approach fits best for your organization. The 'join site' method is common for this workflow when downtime can be tolerated, whereas the WebGISDR method involves replicating the deployment to a new machine with certain caveats/requirements. The WebGISDR tool would only work for this if your ArcGIS Server site is federated with the Portal for ArcGIS organization.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/migration-strategies.htm

-- Chris Pawlyszyn
0 Kudos
AmyBrassieur
New Contributor III

I was thinking the join site should probably work but I've never done it before, so I'm a little nervous about it.  My Portal is federated with Server.

0 Kudos