ArcGIS Server upgrade step 2 of 2 : Failed. Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade

08-29-2022 03:28 PM
RogerHolmes
New Contributor II

We upgraded our GIS Enterprise from 10.9 to 11.0.  We have a single site install with Portal on the same ArcGIS Server.  The portal and web adaptor upgrades went well.   However, after installing the ArcGIS Server upgrade to 11.0, when presented with the server manager page to finish the install, an error occurred after continuing.

"ArcGIS Server upgrade step 2 of 2 : Failed.  Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade"

I have a case open and was told they have seen this error and are waiting for an 11.1 patch.  What??  We looked at logs and ensured permissions on folders for the Windows Server service account.  No luck.  Maybe somebody has some ideas.  Thanks.

12 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Rodger, please send DM me the case number associated with this issue. Thank you!

Keep on keeping on!
RogerHolmes
New Contributor II

I have two cases open for the same issue.  I am beyond frustrated as we have been down for two weeks because of the failure to complete the ArcGIS Server 10.9 to 11.0 update.  Below are the case #s.  It may be I have to uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS Server.  I usually create a snapshot on the VM, but not this time.  I did perform a full backup using the webgisdr tool for our ArcGIS Datastore, Portal for ArcGIS, and ArcGIS Servers.

Case #'s:

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Thank you for letting me know, let me look into those cases.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
LukeRogers
New Contributor III

Any updates here? We are having the same issue. Seems like ESRI should pull the 11.0 install until they sort this out. Very frustrating.

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey there Luke, thank you for posting. Please log a tech support case on this issue and DM me your case number. I am currently working with internal resources on this issue.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
RogerHolmes
New Contributor II

Unfortunately, after two weeks of being down, we decided to revert to 10.9.  We run VMs, and I did not take a snapshot but did create a full webgisdr backup of our data store, portal, and server.  Without the VM snapshot, we had to uninstall the server and reinstall, followed by the portal and reinstall (I did not update the data store to 11.0 because we did not get that far).  This was a hot mess!  Next time, I will take snapshots as I usually do (much easier to go back).

In any case, here is the latest:

• The tech support rep logged this issue as a bug report internally.  He requested our data so he could duplicate the issue on his end.
  • FROM ESRI:  Bug fixes are addressed in upcoming releases or general patches, or they may be addressed as ad-hoc fixes.  Enhancement requests are implemented in upcoming releases.

Updates have been made to the following defect which you are associated with:
    BUG-000152288 - [Internal Only Investigation] Upgrade to 11.0 failing - ArcGIS Server upgrade step 2 of 2: Failed. Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade.

Thank You,

Esri Inc.
    THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™

Good luck!

LukeRogers
New Contributor III

Ugh, frustrating to say the least! Glad you are back up and running and glad I took a backup first. Guess it's time to revert to 10.9.

0 Kudos
RogerHolmes
New Contributor II

I would at least let an ESRI support tech check it out if not already.  Your situation may be a little different, just in case.  You may be able to pull through with the update.

0 Kudos
Rayn
by
New Contributor III

This just happened to me going from 10.9.1 to 11 on a multi machine site with a separate image server.  Had the issue on the first server in the multi machine site as well as image server.  I was able to revert back to a snap shot on all machines luckily.  The weird thing is that we have a mirrored site for DR that i tested the v11 upgrade on and it had no issues whatsoever so not sure why this would occur on just the production side.  Any updates?

0 Kudos