ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification: Connect to proxy server failed.

Jump to solution
12-07-2022 01:21 AM
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Dear community,

we are using the ArcGIS Enterprise Patch Notification tool on several servers, which all connect to the internet via the same proxy server.

Now we have one new server where we get the error "Connection to server failed.", when we try to apply the used proxy server host and port in the settings of the tool:

dstrigl_0-1670404689445.png

This only happens on this one server and the interest part is, that connecting to the internet via the same proxy server works on this machine in Python:

dstrigl_1-1670404838878.png

Also in the Edge web-browser it works fine, only inside the Patch Notification tool we are not able to connect to the proxy server 😞.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dstrigl
New Contributor III

I found the problem, it was our fault:

We forgot to import our Root CA certificate under /arcgis/portaladmin/security/sslCertificates.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeenaAbdulqader
Esri Contributor

Hello @dstrigl 

Hope you are doing well.

I have seen this issue before but with a 10.7.1 environment and what we did was to ensure the HTTP proxy configuration has both Listen and Allow specified to the IP address running the Patch Notification utility. Furthermore, the port used by the HTTP proxy must be available and opened in the targeted machine.

Here are some of the solutions you can try:

• Use the Patch Notification tool without connecting to a proxy
  • Connect to the Patch Notification tool using a proxy that does not require HTTP authentication
  • Manually download patches from https://support.esri.com/en/downloads

Best,

Leena Abdulqader | Technical Support Analyst
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Hi @LeenaAbdulqader,

thanks for your fast response to our problem.

> Here are some of the solutions you can try:

> Use the Patch Notification tool without connecting to a proxy

That's not possible in our company environment.

> Connect to the Patch Notification tool using a proxy that does not require HTTP authentication

That's the current case. We don't need a authentication when connecting to the proxy.

> Manually download patches from https://support.esri.com/en/downloads

Ok, that's always possible. But on the other servers we also use the tool in the cmd in combination with a Python script which inform us every week, if there is a security patch available.

What I don't understand is, why it only happens on this server and it works inside the browser, with cURL and Python.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Check the OS firewall rules on the other machine and compare to this one?  You may need to create an outbound entry?  

Also when you’re using unauthenticated proxies there could be a whitelist (there) of what servers can pass through.  This new server may not have been appended to the list

more likely to be a network than an Esri problem IMHO.  

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
dstrigl
New Contributor III

Hi Scott, thanks for your answer!

more likely to be a network than an Esri problem IMHO

that's also what I thought, but what speaks against is the behaviour that running a cmd with the same user and performing a curl get or requests get in Python with the same proxy settings works fine!

Regards,

Daniel.

0 Kudos
dstrigl
New Contributor III

I found the problem, it was our fault:

We forgot to import our Root CA certificate under /arcgis/portaladmin/security/sslCertificates.

0 Kudos