Jump to solution
03-21-2023 11:48 PM
dky
by
New Contributor III

// Cross-posted in ArcGIS Enterprise in the Cloud Questions

Hi,

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 (Windows, BaseEnterprise, SingleMachine) / AWS

While working on multiple environments, I accidentally ran the cloudformation template for creating a(n) Aurora Postgres Enterprise Geodatabase for ArcGIS Enterprise 11 in my 10.9.1 environment.

Ugh.

(For those really curious: I can report that the cloudformation process succeeded and I got a nice new egdb; For obvious reasons I don't recommend this ...)

I rebooted the host and after a few checks it's kinda bad now - as you'd expect, datastore validation fails for tile cache / managed relational datastores. I tried importmanageddb.bat, configuredatastore.bat and registerdatastore.bat but couldn't get very far ... 

The related error messages are, 

via https://localhost:2443/arcgis/datastore:

"Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Could not configure ArcGIS Data Store. ArcGIS Data Store and ArcGIS Server must be the same release version."

However, the Server Manager Logs (in debug mode) shows:

https://[ip  address]:2443/arcgis/datastoreadmin/machines/[ip address]/validate' returned an error. 'Data store has not been created on this machine.''

When I manually go to this URL, I get:

{
"error" : {
"code" : 403,
"message" : "Unable to process this request.",
"details" : null
}
}

After a bit of hacking ... I found a version string in C:\arcgisdatastore\etc\arcgis-data-store-config.json indicating "datastore.release: 11..."; Then found a corresponding .history file (Thanks, Esri!) ... so "in theory", if I changed the version string in all the right places all will be good again, right?

I edited the arcgis-data-store-config.json "datastore.release" to 10.9.1.28388; rebooted but still no change.
But I'm assuming there's other places where I need to "fix" the version string ?

I'm assuming there's other places where a version string exists and I'm (naively?) assuming that if I can change all these back to 10.9... all will be better? (or am I delusional?)

1. Can I just fix up the version strings, reboot, and all will be better?
    If so, can someone advise where ? (I think the local postgresql?)
  2. Also, what's the consequence of deleting the relational | tilecache datastores and recreating it ?
    (I wasn't able to find any mention of this in the documentation ...)

Many, many thanks in advance for any advice!

Derek

P.S.: Yes, I've learned my lesson to check the cloudformation template version before I proceed!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dky
by
New Contributor III

// Cross-posted to ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud Questions

I'm no expert and don't play one on TV, but here's what I learned:

I asked ...

I'm assuming there's other places where a version string exists and I'm (naively?) assuming that if I can change all these back to 10.9... all will be better? (or am I delusional?)

Probably yes. But at some point continuing to hack felt like an increasingly bad idea, and getting it to some form of "working" state without fully understanding the consequences is not acceptable.

So I focused back on identifying root cause and that was me -- well, me and the v11 cloudformation template. And everywhere I looked the logs showed consistently variations of "version mismatch".

Can I just fix up the version strings, reboot, and all will be better?If so, can someone advise where ? (I think the local postgresql?

Don't do it. See above. 

Seeing how the logs kept screaming at me "version mismatch" no matter what tooling I used, I then checked the tools themselves and that led to checking the Add/Remove programs on the box and yep, Datastore v11 was installed. So the cloudformation template installs the corresponding version of the datastore tools. 

I'm no expert but this is what I did to fix: backup c:\arcgisdatastore, deregister (the defunct) ArcGIS_Datastore relational & tile cache in using our favorite cli tools or the (also effective) https://.../server/manager web admin; then uninstall the datastore application using appwiz.cpl; then reinstall Datastore 10.9.1 and then ... restoring the backup using restoredatastore.bat. There's ample official Esri support articles. Pro tip: There appears to be very microscopic differences across the versions so try to find one that's as close to yours as possible. 

Also, what's the consequence of deleting the relational | tilecache datastores and recreating it ?

I dunno about the relational.

I found out that the tile cache is where (3D?) scene tile caches are stored.

If you got none: Congratulations! 

Hope this helps!

Derek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dky
by
New Contributor III

// Cross-posted to ArcGIS Enterprise in the cloud Questions

I'm no expert and don't play one on TV, but here's what I learned:

I asked ...

Probably yes. But at some point continuing to hack felt like an increasingly bad idea, and getting it to some form of "working" state without fully understanding the consequences is not acceptable.

So I focused back on identifying root cause and that was me -- well, me and the v11 cloudformation template. And everywhere I looked the logs showed consistently variations of "version mismatch".

Can I just fix up the version strings, reboot, and all will be better?If so, can someone advise where ? (I think the local postgresql?

Don't do it. See above. 

Seeing how the logs kept screaming at me "version mismatch" no matter what tooling I used, I then checked the tools themselves and that led to checking the Add/Remove programs on the box and yep, Datastore v11 was installed. So the cloudformation template installs the corresponding version of the datastore tools. 

I'm no expert but this is what I did to fix: backup c:\arcgisdatastore, deregister (the defunct) ArcGIS_Datastore relational & tile cache in using our favorite cli tools or the (also effective) https://.../server/manager web admin; then uninstall the datastore application using appwiz.cpl; then reinstall Datastore 10.9.1 and then ... restoring the backup using restoredatastore.bat. There's ample official Esri support articles. Pro tip: There appears to be very microscopic differences across the versions so try to find one that's as close to yours as possible. 

Also, what's the consequence of deleting the relational | tilecache datastores and recreating it ?

I dunno about the relational.

I found out that the tile cache is where (3D?) scene tile caches are stored.

If you got none: Congratulations! 

Hope this helps!

Derek

0 Kudos