ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0: How to enable\disable data store when publishing?

10-02-2022 09:25 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Enterprise 11.0: How to enable\disable data store when publishing?

I couldn’t figure out how to enable\disable data store when publishing

Clip_233.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
20 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like you are publishing data from a file geodatabase. To register databases with ArcGIS Enterprise, you need to use an enterprise geodatabase. More on this here: https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/manage-data/geodatabases/a-comparison-of-geodatabase-typ...

This being said, if you would just like to publish this data, you can also publish it as a hosted feature layer, which will utilize ArcGIS Data Store for storage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Keep on keeping on!
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Data Store = Hosted layers published through Portal for ArcGIS user account (i.e. Creator role or higher)

Data Store = registered location with ArcGIS Server (file, geodatabase, cloud warehouse...). For publishing non-hosted (referenced) services to ArcGIS Server. If location is not registered, data will be copied to the local server drive. Or you can publish as Hosted to the ArcGIS Data Store.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

I’m not sure if the flow chart below is correct when it comes to the option available for publishing

However, what could be the advantage of having the “ArcGIS Data Server” over the regular “Data Store”?

Clip_253.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Logan_Stevens
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal,

Great diagram! I just wanted to clarify just a couple things. When you publish to ArcGIS Server, you do have the option to copy the data or register the data source so the data is referenced to the source database from ArcGIS Enterprise. However, with ArcGIS Data Store, there is no option to publish the data as a referenced item, because the ArcGIS Data Store is not a "user-managed" data store like how SQL Server is, for example.

An advantage of having a registered data store is to keep the data in a multi-user enterprise geodatabase where you have control over how the data is configured & managed. When data is published to the ArcGIS Data Store, the data is copied to the ArcGIS Data Store and is inherently managed by ArcGIS and gives you the "Hosted" layer type. The ArcGIS Data Store option is also useful if users don't have much experience setting up and maintaining an RDBMS. There are several different types of ArcGIS Data Stores too, such as the Tile Cache Data Store for hosted scene layers and the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store for real-time data, just to name a couple.

When data is Hosted, you have settings within the item's Item Details page that you can enable and disable depending on your needs. When you publish data from a registered data source to ArcGIS Server, you're limited to certain settings because those settings are to be configured within the source database, rather than within ArcGIS Enterprise.

Take a look at the following resources:

I hope this helps!

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

But why do we still have reference\copy options when publishing with “map image” format as per the screenshot below? With the referenced “map image”, I assume that the data will never be copied to the server. Am I correct?

Clip_252.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Logan_Stevens
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal,

What messages appear when you click the "Analyze" button prior to publishing? If the data source is not registered, you will receive this warning: 24011 Layer's data source is not registered with the server and data will be copied to the server. You can right-click this warning message in ArcGIS Pro to register the data, if desired.

If you still do not register the layer's data source with ArcGIS Server, the data will be copied to the server, regardless if you select "Map Image" under the "Reference Registered Data" section or the "Copy All Data" section in the ArcGIS Pro publishing pane.

Best,

Logan

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This is what’s confusing me the most; the function of the configured “ArcGIS Data Store”. As if it has no function at all!

Clip_254.jpgClip_255.jpgClip_256.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Logan_Stevens
Esri Contributor

Hi Jamal,

Apologies for the confusion!

If I understand correctly, you'd like to publish data to the ArcGIS Data Store that is already registered with your ArcGIS Server site? If so, be sure to select the "Feature" option under the "Copy All Data" section of the publishing pane. 

Let me know if that clears things up!

Logan

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Under the “copy all data” section, if the feature, tile, or vector tile are selected, then the publish button grayed out.

What could be the issue here?

Clip_260.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos