ArcEnterprise 10.7 portal licence file

Jump to solution
03-22-2019 11:10 AM
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi all - I'm a little confused on the upgrade process for ArcEnterprise from 10.6.1 to 10.7.  I don't recall ever having to supply a license file to the portal as detailed here at 10.6 or 10.6.1:

Obtain a portal license file—Portal for ArcGIS (10.7) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

We use concurrent licensing to handle Pro and Desktop and are upgrading our license manager to 2018.1 as required.  

Is this step required if your org is still on the concurrent use licensing model?  Do I need to supply this file at upgrade -  whether using concurrent licencing or not?  If so, is this because of the new user types and app bundles available to certain user types?

Thanks-

David

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Just a quick update to this.  It was no problem to just generate the license file, save it to a directory on my machine, and then supply it during the portal post-upgrade process.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello David,

To answer you question, when you upgrade from a previous version to another version, you require a new license. For example 10.3 to 10.4 or 10.5.1 to 10.6, or 10.6.1 to 10.7.

But when you upgrade within the same version (e.g. 10.5.0 to 10.5.1 or 10.6.0 to 10.6.1), you do not need a new license.

Secondly, Portal licenses are different from Pro and Desktop. Portal does not use License Manager.

Upgrading your license manager is quite an easy process depending on the previous version you have. Kindly check License manager installation and startup—License Manager Guide | ArcGIS Desktop  for more information.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Igb.  I don't think I was very clear.  I understand updating within version vs to a new release.  I did that at moving from Server at 10.4.x to Enterprise at 10.6.  I also understand that Portal does not user license manager, but was uncertain on how new the Portal licence file json applies - but now think that is related to the new user types and app bundles.

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Your assessment is correct.  In version 10.6 and lower, ECP authorization numbers or a provisioning file was used to authorize ArcGIS Portal with level 2 and level 1 licenses.  At 10.7, a change was necessary to accommodate the new user types and app bundles.  It needed to be updated and parse differently the previous license file.  You will need to go to MyEsri to generate a json file to authorize ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.  

Also you mentioned licensing ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap.  If you're using a concurrent use licensing option, just upgrade to ArcGIS License Manager 2018.1 which you've done.  There is no need to do anything further.

FYI:  For customer who want to license ArcGIS Pro using the named user licensing option through on-premise portal and want to upgrade to version 10.7, you will need to have an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 and ArcGIS License Manager 2018.1.  In this case, go to MyEsri to generate a json file for Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro named user licenses.  Use the same file to authorize ArcGIS Enterprise and then the ArcGIS License Manager.  It is possible to host the Concurrent Use licenses and Named User licenses on the same license manager. 

Hope this clear up any confusion.   

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes it does, thanks very much Amnoy

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello -  it would appear that this topic has been active enough to have generated a blog post about upgrading to 10.7.  This just-released post:

Ugrading to ArcGIS Enterprise 10. 7: What you need to know about user type licensing

details some upgrade scenarios. However, for our org, we show that we have 105 level 2 licences available at 10.6.1. When I go to My Organizations > Licensing > License Esri Products and go to Portal for ArcGIS the 'Select User Type and Application Licenses section shows that I only have 100 Creator (formerly level 2) named users:

What happened to 5 of my formerly level 2 licenses?  Has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

David, 

I suggest you contact Esri Customer Service to straighten that out. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, will do

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Just a quick update to this.  It was no problem to just generate the license file, save it to a directory on my machine, and then supply it during the portal post-upgrade process.   

0 Kudos