All custom GP services timeout after upgrade from 10.8.1 to 10.9.1

Jump to solution
09-23-2022 01:15 PM
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Our custom GP services work very well in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.81. But after upgraded to 10.9.1, all the custom GP services timeout after the default 10 mins.

We published the custom GP services following instructions on this page: https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/10.9.1/publish-services/windows/tutorial-publish-additional-...

I published a new Print service following these instructions again.  The same thing happens when I execute the Get Layout Templates Info task, it times out after 10 minutes.  This confirms it’s not just custom GP tools from the upgrade that fail, but newly published ones too.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Rose

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @ThienTran ,

Also for those who may encounter the same issue, we have found a workaround!

After banging my head against a wall for weeks, finally we were able to determine through some manual python testing that running the equivalent of an Export Web Map script directly from ArcGIS Server's python environment was bringing up what looked like an Internet Explorer browser prompt with the message “Security Alert: You are about to view pages over a secure connection”.

We tested disabling this setting for the service account and confirmed that this allowed your custom GP services to execute successfully without timing out.

ESRI Tech Support was able to reproduce the issue.  It seems a bug in 10.9.1.

Rose

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Rose,

Thank you for reaching out to the community about your GP Service time out issue. If you have access to them, could you please add them to this post so that I can review them.

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Hello @JonEmch :

The ArcGIS Server Account was a domain account before. Even though the domain account  has "administrator" privileges on the server, all custom GP services timeout after upgraded to 10.9.1. I have narrowed down the issue. When switching the ArcGIS Server Account to a local user account, the custom GP services work. Any ideas? By the way, our map services are not accessible publicly.

Thanks

Rose

0 Kudos
ThienTran
Esri Contributor

Hi @RoseZhou2,

Your described symptoms may suggest the issue is permissions related at the OS level. Take a look at the whole section under 'What permissions do I need to grant to the ArcGIS Server account?' and confirm against your own system settings.

In addition to this, ensure your ArcGIS Server account has full permissions to the Python27 directory, which is at C:\Python27 by default.

If you cannot find the Python27 directory, you can have a look in Registry Editor to find the installed path at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.7\InstallPath

0 Kudos
RoseZhou2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks @ThienTran ,

Also for those who may encounter the same issue, we have found a workaround!

After banging my head against a wall for weeks, finally we were able to determine through some manual python testing that running the equivalent of an Export Web Map script directly from ArcGIS Server's python environment was bringing up what looked like an Internet Explorer browser prompt with the message “Security Alert: You are about to view pages over a secure connection”.

We tested disabling this setting for the service account and confirmed that this allowed your custom GP services to execute successfully without timing out.

ESRI Tech Support was able to reproduce the issue.  It seems a bug in 10.9.1.

Rose