Will the Map Viewer allow embed or iframe content in popups

11-18-2021 11:19 AM
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

I'm using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9

I want to embed content into a popup. 

When I edit the popup and add an iframe, it seems to get removed immediately -- when I switch back to the preview mode and then to HTML mode, it's just gone.

When I use the embed tag, it works, but when I save the map and reload it, it's gone. It's being deleted before it's saved to the map configuration file.

Do other people see this? Is it a "feature" that's undocumented? Can I disable the feature?

Here are some screen captures. Here is editing the popup in HTML mode

BrianWilson7_1-1637262681565.png

switch to preview mode and you can see the embed content is there. Scrolling down reveals there is no iframe content.

BrianWilson7_2-1637262754899.png

switch back to html and note the iframe is now gone

BrianWilson7_3-1637262997043.png

now if I save the map and reload the page, it has removed the embed tags too,

BrianWilson7_4-1637263097109.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Brian,

It looks like you are trying to embed an iframe for a website?  I don't know if this is possible, but you can configure a link to a website.  You have to do with the a href <> tag for html or you can build it as an expression using Arcade then add the expression to your custom configuration as a field.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

Either "iframe" or "embed" would be fine. Using them would mean I can generate and maintain more complex content using best practices and generally make a better looking popup with less effort.

We have a popup with 10 expressions in it and it's just painful to test and maintain things like that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Arcade? What's that for again?   🙂   (Did someone just whisper "vendor lock in??") Okay okay I will look at it in more depth. All my braincells currently are holding JavaScript AND Python and I have to pry a few loose.

Brian

Brian_Wilson

I filed a support ticket on this, since it appears to be a bug. Support phoned and said he would send me some workarounds in an email. So, it's a known bug.

As soon as I get that email I will post what I learn here. Until then this little project is on the back burner. 

whamiziwtaha
New Contributor

Hi. Sorry to re-open this post. I seem to experience similar issue in ArcGIS Portal 10.9.1. 

I am trying to embed a Web App in our Portal home page, but the editor does not seem to be able to read the following tags: embed, iframe

I understand that in Portal 10.9 version, the home page configuration will not be maintained in future upgrades, and we should switch to the home page editor. But, we have some requirements to meet, which is to embed a Web App in the Portal home page, hence we are using the legacy home page settings.

The issue we are facing when adding embed tag is that, when we use embed, the editor will turn it into &lt;embed&gt; &lt;/embed&gt; 

Meanwhile, if we use the iframe tag, the editor in the Portal home page configuration section will automatically remove the iframe tag in the coding once we click Save.

Still scratching my head on this

Gene_Sipes
New Contributor III

I'm looking for ability to embed <iframe> from YouTube in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer pop ups. I am having same issues as described in the post. I have successfully linked the YouTube videos, but I want to embed in popup. 

0 Kudos
Gene_Sipes
New Contributor III

Map Viewer team at the Dev Summit this year said that it will not be supported. Apparently <iframe> can present a security issue. 

0 Kudos