Publishing Feature Service Changes Unique ID even though it is Set to Not Assign

09-20-2022 02:13 PM
Labels (3)
WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

Ever since going to ArcGIS Pro/Enterprise Portal, I have been having difficultly with publishing services to our Enterprise Portal.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in Pro, but if you have 'Allow assignment of unique IDs for sharing web layers' unchecked in the map properties within the Table of Contents and want to share feature service, it will always have it checked, throwing an error before you share.  This might be a feature that is done on purpose?  Not sure. But every time I overwrite a layer, I have to uncheck the box.

But the real issue I am concerned about is when I don't allow for unique ID's and create an independent service for each layer I share, I've had instances where the unique ID will change (from 0 to 10) after I have overwritten the service. I'm doing something simple like changing the source of the layer from a view to a static table or including new fields.

This is frustrating because it literally breaks everything I have, web apps, maps, dashboards, etc.  Luckily, I can use the AGO Assistant to solve this, but it makes me nervous when I am working with very important information that needs to be updated.

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.1 and Enterprise Portal 10.8.1 (I believe)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hello,

What you have described is not a bug in ArcGIS Pro. It sounds like you are encountering error 00374: Unique numeric IDs are not assigned. The error was intentionally added to prevent you from sharing or overwriting web layers before assigning IDs to layers or tables in your map. If static IDs are not assigned that match existing service sublayer IDs, the IDs may change as you observed. If you overwrite your service, this may break web maps and other web apps using the service. (This is the situation you described with the broken apps and dashboards.)

The solution here is to assign static layer IDs to your layers and tables that match existing service IDs. You can read more about this in the help topic, Assign layer IDs.

Best,

Jonah

WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the information.  Yes, this is my problem.  I'm still coming from ArcMap where it was a bit easier to this, and never was an issue.

But I don't see the setting to assign static layer ID's in the layer properties under General?

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

First, enable Allow assignment of unique numeric IDs for sharing web layers.

MapProperties.png

The Layer ID text box in layer properties will appear.

LayerID.png

WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

Perfect, thank you!  This does help me understand a lot more moving forward.

But, I specifically left that unchecked so every layer I share would be a service, thus forcing an ID of 0?  It should have kept all ID's at 0 because each layer would have been its own unique service.  But in my case, I started with 0 then it changed to 10 (I assume when it barked at me about unique ID's.) I even deleted the service and it still came back as 10.

WalidAlmasri1_0-1663800579118.png

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

If you didn't assign layer IDs, the layer you share are automatically assigned IDs based on drawing order in the Content pane. When layers are added, removed, or reordered, their IDs change accordingly. We recommend assigning layer IDs so that you have control over them, preventing them from being changed.

0 Kudos
WalidAlmasri1
Occasional Contributor

That is correct. Unfortunately, this item is the first layer in the contents pane.  It did not change order that's why I'm so bewildered.  I never had an issue with this in ArcMap, only ArcGIS Pro.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help here.  Moving forward, I will see if assigning ID's mitigates this issue.

Thank you

0 Kudos