Convert Attribute Assistant to web based. Server/ArcGIS Online.

01-15-2014 11:43 AM
MikePing
Occasional Contributor II

The Attribute Assistant is a great tool.  I would be very helpful If it was available for people using a collector app through ArcGIS Online or a custom Server app to have this available.  It would save a lot of work/time in post processing of field collected data. 

Attribute Assistant-like functionality is available through web services published by reference (referencing a registered data source) to ArcGIS Enterprise.  See Share datasets with attribute rules—Geodatabases | ArcGIS Desktop .

If what you are looking for is support for Attribute Assistant-like functionality using ArcGIS Online, please go to https://community.esri.com/ideas/16977 to up vote - and it would be helpful to that development team if you would comment with your requirements such as what method/capability do you need for your work?
18 Comments
ChrisBlinn1
This should have 10,000 points by now.  Such a great idea!  Have it work by publishing the tables in a service, then consume the service to get the functionality.  
FrankVeldhuis1
This would be very helpful when porting desktop applications to arcgis server web and mobile applications
MétropoleNice_Côte_d_Azur
I would also like very much to use attribute assistant with collector app and with data hosted on arcgis online !!!
GreggRoemhildt1

Having the ability to use the attribute assistant in a web based app would be so beneficial.

It would allow users of web based apps to autopopulate fields based off of related records, intersecting features, and auto populate ID fields which can often be quite difficult to populate.

I suppose this ​could​ be done using sql triggers also...

KoryKramer

Please keep an eye on the Attribute Rules functionality coming to a future release of ArcGIS Pro.  My understanding is that these rules will be based on the Arcade language (ArcGIS Arcade | ArcGIS for Developers ) meaning that they can be used across the ArcGIS Platform.

See the ArcGIS Pro Roadmap for a general idea of when we can expect to see Attribute Rules.

by Anonymous User

Can everyone who has supported this idea share some of their workflows where they would want to use this functionality in ArcGIS Online?

For example this would be helpful in understanding the need:

"I have a feature service with related table for a tree inventory. I would like information about tree status added into the tree points feature class to be auto populated into the related table."

Which methods specifically would be helpful?

All methods - Attribute Assistant | ArcGIS Solutions 

RonnieRichards

Simple point feature service layer for collecting hazardous events. Once the location is collected it would be wonderful to have a reverse geocode to determine approx address, as well as intersection with polygon layers such as response zone, City Name from a variety of sources. Expression & GenerateID would be helpful since the ID could be based on response type or geographic area. 

The following can support a number of workflows with very simple data models.

Reverse Geocode

Intersect

Expression

Generate ID

GreggRoemhildt1

Hi Katie, our most used rules are:

• AUTONUMBER - we generate a unique id for each of our assets when they are created. This is so we can link inspection records to them using a foreign key
  • FROM_JUNCTION_FIELD/TO_JUNCTION_FIELD/INTERSECTING_FEATURE - every pipe is linked to its from and to structure so various attributes can be shared through table joins. In addition, intersecting feature is used to link feature classes like parking spaces, to their parking lot boundary id, etc.
  • I sometimes also use the intersecting feature rule to quickly populate a field, rather than doing a spatial join -> export -> join -> calculate field, its much easier to set up an attributes assistant rule and run it on a field.
  • LAST_VALUE - used very frequently in many different fields and layers to populate the value that was last entered in the current edit session
  • TIMESTAMP - update date created/modified
WillMcInnes

I manage scientific sampling location maps, and it would be fantastic for the field crews to have the locations automatically added to the attribute table.

JasonBalmut

This is the ideal solution for the Damage Assessment application.  It needs to be able to collect underlying property values, owner information, and calculate reimbursements based on the insurance on the site.