ArcGIS recent imagery switch to older one when zoom in

09-08-2021 07:24 AM
WisamMahdi
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Earth version: 1.13.0.3206

I've noticed that when I zoom in & go closer than 3km altitude, the basemap image goes from the recent update to an older one. As you can see in this short video.

I'm using "Imagery with labels" as the Basemap, could you please help to force using the recently updated image instead of going back to the older one while zooming in?
BasemapBasemap

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can use ESRI's Image with Metadata map to view the tile citations.

jcarlson_2-1631113375246.png

jcarlson_3-1631113386107.png

Given that the tiles in this area all come from Maxar, you may want to read up on how they produce their products. Note that the closer tiles come from Maxar's Metro program, as opposed to their Vivid imagery. Metro is more detailed, but updates less often than the larger-scale, global Vivid product.

I imagine there may be some way to force the tiles not to display beyond a certain zoom, but leaving the Vivid tiles up, you'll be limited to the resolution at that particular zoom level, and it will likely be too pixellated at closer zooms to be of much use.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
WisamMahdi
New Contributor II

I'm afraid, it's not related to Maxar itself rather than related to the link you are using to provide this imagery, as I don't have any issue when I use other software using the same identical Mxar tiles like (QGIS with a given link for here maps).

QGIS after zooming (Using the same tiles from Maxar)QGIS after zooming (Using the same tiles from Maxar)ArcGIS after zoomingArcGIS after zoomingQGIS before zooming (Using the same tiles from Maxar)QGIS before zooming (Using the same tiles from Maxar)ArcGIS before zoomingArcGIS before zooming

BTW the given link also has the same issue.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

ESRI's imagery is originally sourced from Maxar, but when you access the Esri World Imagery layer, the tiles are coming from an ESRI service, not from Maxar itself. I assume this ultimately comes from a mosaic dataset.

Given that the up-to-date imagery does exist, I would use ESRI's Imagery Map Feedback map to add a note for their team to address it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
WisamMahdi
New Contributor II

Would appreciate if you could do that so they can update it. 

0 Kudos
AbbySchondel
New Contributor II

Our team is still experiencing this issue with the World Imagery basemap in ArcPro. Zoomed in past 1:766, the basemap reverts to an older version.

0 Kudos