upgrade Geodatabase 10.4.1 to 10.8 error

08-05-2020 01:47 AM
tsheringlham
New Contributor

I am trying to upgrade my enterprise Geodatabase in 10.4.1 to 10.8.i have MSSQL Server 2019 and ArcGIS 10.8.

The upgrade button in Geodatabase properties says

"This 10.4.1 Geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using however, the databse internal such as stored procedures can be upgraded"

I want to upgrade the Geodatabase to 10.8. Can anyone help me what could be the problem.

i read that while upgrading from Geodatabase 10.4.1 or earlier, all locators in the Geodatabase must be deleted. i dont know what this means??? i dont have any locaters in my Geodatabase.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you tried running the "Upgrade Geodatabase" tool in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro? If so, do you recieve the same error as you saw when attempting to upgrade from the GDB properties?

I'd also recommend checking a few items before attempting this upgrade documented here. There are a number of action items such as ensuring that the SQL Server and ArcGIS version combination is compatible, using the ArcPy Describe function to determine if the geodatabase can be upgraded, and more. 

0 Kudos
tsheringlham
New Contributor

Thank you Jack for the reply. The Upgrade Geodatabase tool' also gives this error.

I have checked all the things to do before the upgrade. The Geodatabase 10.8 is compatible with MSSQL Server 2019(64).

ERROR 001046
The geodatabase is already at the current release and cannot be upgraded.
0 Kudos
AdrianMarsden
Occasional Contributor III

Sorry, no answer, but we've the same here, but Oracle and 10.2.2 >>10.6.1

Any ideas anyone?

ACM

0 Kudos
Eilate
by
New Contributor

tl;dr: check that the gdb version you have can be upgraded directly to the version you want, pay special attention to workgroup gdb.

I recently had similar problem. Upgraded ArcGIS Enterprise 10.4.1 directly to 10.9.1 but couldn't upgrade the geodatabase, in ArcMap 10.8.2/Pro 2.9 the message said "This 10.1 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using." (yes the gdb version was 10.1 not 10.4 - not my deployment so didn't know that they didn't upgrade it when they upgraded their Server last time... but should've checked it I guess).

You can upgrade the gdb to 10.9.1 directly only from 10.4 up (see here) so I attempted a two-step upgrade. First I installed Pro 2.1, and managed to upgrade the gdb to 10.6. You can find here which Pro/ArcMap version matches each gdb version. 
Then I tried from ArcMap 10.8.2 that I still had installed but again got the false and misleading message "This 10.6.0.2.1 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using.". Eventually I realized that the latest workgroup gdb is 10.8.1 (and it was a workgroup gdb), so I got Pro 2.6 and upgraded the gdb version to 10.8.1.2.6.

Eilat

0 Kudos
CortDaniel1
New Contributor III

I experienced the same problem but with a different error message and solution.  

A 10.4.1 GDB that I inherited passed the 'pre-req' checks but produced the following error message on the dialog window after trying to upgrade the GDB. The same message was in the sde_setup.log.

ERROR in creating GDB_Locks table.

Error: -25

DBMS error code: 0

Upon investigation, I discovered that the <My GDB name>.sde.GDB_Locks table was missing.  Why?  No idea, it's still a mystery.

The solution was to go into SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) and add the 'db_owner' role to the 'sde' user. Then I ran the upgrade and revoked the 'db_owner' role from the 'sde' user.  

This ESRI doc helped point me in the right direction, Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

This solution may help another GIS DBA experience a similar problem.

Ciao!

0 Kudos