Workflow Manager in Defense Mapping?

Jump to solution
08-21-2022 05:24 PM
hm_stella
Esri Contributor

Hi folks,

I am currently testing how the workflow manager works with the Defense Mapping. For the process of Generalization, I want to use the workflow manager's "Generalization - Generalize Data" task. 

However, when I reach the "Run Generalization" step it keeps making a weird result. It seems like the run generalization does not create the necessary subfolders and gdbs such as THEMES.gdb and Scratch.gdb the tool usually creates.

As the workflow does not give enough details about the error, I tried to use Run Generalization script as a geoprocessing tool and gave the same parameters as workflow used.

Now, it gives a message of "WorkflowStepPercept" and "Failed at Line 907." I don't know what is the problem and where to start fixing this. If anyone has known or heard about this, please help me 😥

hm_stella_0-1661127817460.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GCRice
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

We introduced the ability to connect the Run Generalization script tool to a Workflow Manager Database in v3.0 of the Production and Defense Mapping product files. The two sample rule files in Defense for MGCP and TDS 250K generalization both include placeholder entries on the Parameters tab. See below in green:

GCRice_0-1661189333643.png

Set the Workflow_Connection to the full path of the .jtc file that contains connection info to your Workflow Database. Set any number 1-100 for Workflow_Step_Percent - in this case, this means that Run Generalization accounts for 80% of the job. After each model in the Run Generalization process, the job's step percent complete will be updated accordingly.

This is all new at PM/DM 3.0, so it doesn't make sense that you're encountering this at 2.9 or 2.9.0.1, as the paths in your image indicate. Can you confirm the version of the product files and rule file you're trying to use?  Note that there is also a new Upgrade Generalization Rules tool in the Production Mapping product data that can add the required fields and tolerances to your rule file at 3.0. It is in the Generalization Rule Validation.tbx here: ArcGIS Production Mapping\Product Files\Generalization\GeneralizationRules

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GCRice
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi there,

We introduced the ability to connect the Run Generalization script tool to a Workflow Manager Database in v3.0 of the Production and Defense Mapping product files. The two sample rule files in Defense for MGCP and TDS 250K generalization both include placeholder entries on the Parameters tab. See below in green:

GCRice_0-1661189333643.png

Set the Workflow_Connection to the full path of the .jtc file that contains connection info to your Workflow Database. Set any number 1-100 for Workflow_Step_Percent - in this case, this means that Run Generalization accounts for 80% of the job. After each model in the Run Generalization process, the job's step percent complete will be updated accordingly.

This is all new at PM/DM 3.0, so it doesn't make sense that you're encountering this at 2.9 or 2.9.0.1, as the paths in your image indicate. Can you confirm the version of the product files and rule file you're trying to use?  Note that there is also a new Upgrade Generalization Rules tool in the Production Mapping product data that can add the required fields and tolerances to your rule file at 3.0. It is in the Generalization Rule Validation.tbx here: ArcGIS Production Mapping\Product Files\Generalization\GeneralizationRules