Evaluate Intersection Count Rule

Jump to solution
01-06-2023 12:54 PM
CaseyRayPeterson
New Contributor II

Version: Pro 3.0.2

I have a roads polyline feature class. There are some instances, as shown in the screenshot, where there are two different road segments that represent the same road and intersect each other several times. 

I am trying to use the Evaluate Intersection Count Rule as a validation check to find any lines that intersect more than twice. I have set the rule to compare features to itself and look for intersections greater than 2. The validation status in the attribute table of the feature class does not show any error, however, even though the road segments in the screenshot are a clear example of what it should be looking for. 

CaseyRayPeterson_1-1673038361492.png

CaseyRayPeterson_0-1673038238154.png

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CaseyRayPeterson
New Contributor II

Oh I think figured it out. I came across this page that documents the process for running validation rules: run validation rules 

After setting up the validation rules in Data Design>Attribute Rules:
1. Right click feature class in Contents Pane and select Add Error Layers.
2. On Edit tab, in Manage Edits group, select Error Inspector.
3. In Error Inspector, select dropdown arrow next to Evaluate Rules to verify rules and extent.
4. Click Evaluate Rules.

Doing this correctly identified the two road segments in question. 

Thank you for responses, it just took some digging into documentation to understand how the tool/rules actually work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
GoWest
by
New Contributor III

I am not familiar with this tool, but I noticed that your roads are Z and M enabled.  Are you setting the Z value?  If so, I wonder if the two roads are not intersecting in the Z axis.

You might try Exploding the roads, just to eliminate the possibility of this being a multipolyline problem.

0 Kudos
CaseyRayPeterson
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply.

Great observation, that makes logical sense. I created a new polyline feature class and disabled the z and m values and tried again. Unfortunately, I got the same results. Exploding the roads didn't work either, and didn't affect the segments in question anyway as they are single part features. 

Thank you for your response, I'll continue trying. 

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@CaseyRayPeterson You are on the right track in finding the appropriate check for the use case. I moved the post to Data Reviewer for focus. Please post a screenshot of the check configuration parameters.

@GoWest Wow - good observation on the MZ. The z-value of a feature is not considered when evaluating for intersections as in the check documentation.

Evaluate Intersection Count

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
CaseyRayPeterson
New Contributor II

Oh I think figured it out. I came across this page that documents the process for running validation rules: run validation rules 

After setting up the validation rules in Data Design>Attribute Rules:
1. Right click feature class in Contents Pane and select Add Error Layers.
2. On Edit tab, in Manage Edits group, select Error Inspector.
3. In Error Inspector, select dropdown arrow next to Evaluate Rules to verify rules and extent.
4. Click Evaluate Rules.

Doing this correctly identified the two road segments in question. 

Thank you for responses, it just took some digging into documentation to understand how the tool/rules actually work.