Check for identical elevation codes at intersecting streets

10-28-2022 01:16 PM
ThomasRickett
New Contributor III

I have a large streets dataset. I was wondering if there was a check for verifying if your streets polylines have identical elevation codes in the attribute table. Thinking about it, this would be an iterative check on each segment verifying geometric connection and then looking in the attribute table to verify the two elevation codes. This is an important problem when combining streets datasets across counties. Many street networks break at bridges, where on analyst put an elevation and another didn't. Does anyone know of a data reviewer check that would look at that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayCary
Esri Contributor

For Z-enabled polylines, you may want to check-out the Different Z at Intersection check to identify polylines that intersect or touch with Z-values outside a defined range.

For polylines with Z values stored as an attribute, you may want to check-out the Feature on Feature check. This check can be configured to find polyline features that intersect or touch (Spatial Relationship parameter) and contain attribute values that do not match (Attribute Relationship parameter).

ThomasRickett
New Contributor III

@JayCary  I don't have Z-values in my street attribute table. For elevations I have codes in my ToElevation and FromElevation fields. 0 is ground level and 1-9 are for elevation. So endpoints have to have the same elevation codes in order to route. 

Is there a Data Reviewer check that would check for elevation codes at endpoints of street segments? 

0 Kudos
JayCary
Esri Contributor

@ThomasRickettThanks for sharing additional details on the scenario.

The Different Z at Intersection check would support this scenario (albeit using Z-enabled features).

Unfortunately, I don't think the Feature on Feature (aka Geometry on Geometry in ArcMap) will work. The check can find polyline boundaries that intersect (spatial relation: DE-9IM (****T****), but comparing the attribute pairs (ToElevation <> FromElevation, FromElevation <> ToElevation) would generate false-positive results.

0 Kudos