Data download from ArcGIS Server Feature Service

06-24-2022 06:29 AM
Labels (1)
JonasRugtvedt_Geodata
New Contributor II

Hello,

From reading the documentation it states that the download data function in ArcGIS Dashboard only is available where the source is a, ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/latest/create-and-share/download-data.htm

I am wondering if there is a work-around or if this will be possible if the data source is an ArcGIS Server Feature Service?

We publish a large number of services with AGS, some of them with export capabilities. These services are registered as items in ArcGIS Online and utilized in dashboards, where it would be great to have to option to export the data.

8 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you can access the service and submit a query to the REST endpoint, you should be able to save the output to a spatial file. This will depend on the service's capabilities, though.

What's the service URL?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JonasRugtvedt_Geodata
New Contributor II

Hi Josh,

Thanks for responding.

The dashboard is hosted in ArcGIS Online and I fail to see how one can send request from the dashboard to an ArcGIS Server feature service and how to tie this up with the download data functionality?

JonasRugtvedt_Geodata_0-1656309684437.png

Jonas Rugtvedt,

Geodata AS

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When the dashboard loads the data, it's just sending a GET to some URL and getting the response, then the dashboard parses the response and renders it. That means the service is sending back data in some format.

If you had the service URL, there's no reason you couldn't alter the GET request and have the response save to a spatially-enabled file like a geoJSON.

It's not a nice built-in feature like the download button, but it is possible to download data from registered services.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JonasRugtvedt_Geodata
New Contributor II

This sounds like a good solution for downloading the data, but we are looking for more of a built-in method.

Our end-users are mostly non-technical personal that uses the dashboard to explore and analyze information and they need a way to easily download the views they make in the dashboard. The download data functionality that is available with hosted feature services is great, so we are hoping this would be possible to also use with an ArcGIS Server Feature Service.

Jonas

DarylHochhalter
Occasional Contributor II

I have essentially the same question! Not sure why it needs to be a hosted feature layer? I noticed one other thing since upgrading enterprise to 9.1.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/use/data-store-items.htm

I'm wondering if creating an item from the server registered datastore would allow for the download functionality that exists for hosted data?

AaronKoelker
Occasional Contributor III

Any update on this? Running into the same issue, would like to export data from a REST/feature service on an Enterprise Portal, rather than one hosted on ArcGIS Online, using an ArcGIS Online Dashboard. Currently don't get the option to enable download in the widget, even when Extract is enabled in the feature service. Quite a bummer.

-Aaron
ArmandFrançois
New Contributor III

+1 for this request.

berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

+1 for this request.

0 Kudos