Dashboard With Two Maps and Indicators that Need To Change Based on Map Selected

Jump to solution
07-26-2021 07:05 PM
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello

I am working on a Dashboard where there are two years of data (points) that need to be displayed. I would combine the data, however one set is currently being collected via Survey123 and the other set was previously collected using another process so the columns are not the same.

Through some Google searching it does not appear that I can have both feature layers on the same map and have a way to filter the indicators and serial charts based on selecting the layers. It looks like they can only be set up to filter one of the data sets. I could be wrong.

I was thinking that I could have two maps and have all the indicators and serial charts stacked on top of one another based on the data, but that seems like it would be a pain for the user to have to change tabs for five serial charts and three indicators plus the map to get the appropriate numbers to appear. Is there a better way to do this?

I am including a screen shot of the Dashboard right now. I have only created tabs for the maps and not the other components.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @GarrettRSmith,

As far as I am aware you are right - only one input per element.

"I was thinking that I could have two maps and have all the indicators and serial charts stacked on top of one another based on the data, but that seems like it would be a pain for the user to have to change tabs for five serial charts and three indicators plus the map to get the appropriate numbers to appear."

You can do this and have only 2 tabs to switch between. Basically group your map and indicators and serial charts for one data set and do the same for the other data set and stack the two groups on top of each other. Essentially 2 Dashboards with a common Header.

Otherwise, is it possible to append the data from the old feature to the current feature (associated with Survey123) and map the fields? If need be, add some additional fields to the current feature to capture attributes that don't map across. If you are looking to use the same indicators for both datasets, it seems like the data is similar? Or at least the key fields.

If field types don't match (e.g. character length issues), you could create a new feature that accommodates both datasets and push out a new survey. More of a pain, though may save you headaches in the long-term.

Jamie.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @GarrettRSmith,

As far as I am aware you are right - only one input per element.

"I was thinking that I could have two maps and have all the indicators and serial charts stacked on top of one another based on the data, but that seems like it would be a pain for the user to have to change tabs for five serial charts and three indicators plus the map to get the appropriate numbers to appear."

You can do this and have only 2 tabs to switch between. Basically group your map and indicators and serial charts for one data set and do the same for the other data set and stack the two groups on top of each other. Essentially 2 Dashboards with a common Header.

Otherwise, is it possible to append the data from the old feature to the current feature (associated with Survey123) and map the fields? If need be, add some additional fields to the current feature to capture attributes that don't map across. If you are looking to use the same indicators for both datasets, it seems like the data is similar? Or at least the key fields.

If field types don't match (e.g. character length issues), you could create a new feature that accommodates both datasets and push out a new survey. More of a pain, though may save you headaches in the long-term.

Jamie.

0 Kudos
GarrettRSmith
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I created two groups based on the data and now they can be controlled with two tabs.

Combining the data was too much of a pain and not worth the effort since the client is only really interested in the live data that is currently being collected.

0 Kudos
KinleyWinchester
New Contributor III

What if you combine the map with the associated elements as your tabs?  Your question made me think of this COVID dashboard.  It isn't mine, so I can't speak to its creation, but what they did could be an option for you.

https://myutk.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/72ce9fd4bee241f28c2f4f70f338a4e4

0 Kudos