Dashboard selector for multiple variables

07-06-2022 01:53 PM
Labels (1)
rbuhler
New Contributor

I am building a weather station Dashboard which contains a map with external links to a variety of different weather stations from various sources. Each station has a unique combination of variables such as precipitation, temperature, relative humidity, etc.

I built the main table which contains a column for each weather variable and then assigned TRUE or FALSE for each variable at each station.

For example, Station 1 has only wind + temperature, Station 2 has precipitation + temp + RH, Station 3 has only wind + RH.

I would like to add a selector to my Dashboard which would allow me to only show the weather stations with a specific variable (or ideally the option to select multiple variables) so that if I selected Wind, it would only show stations with wind (Station 1 and 3 from the example above).

I have also tried concatenating the variables into a single field but so far haven't had any success. In this case, Station 1 has the variable "wind, temp", Station 2 is "precip, temp, rh" and Station 3 is "wind, rh". I was told to use the "contains" option but this does not appear to be available on the selector options, only seems to be an option in the filter menu. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'll use your example Stations 1-3 to test. I've made those indicator fields as integers, 0 and 1 being false and true, respectively.

jcarlson_0-1657195936806.png

I think we could make a single selector using a Data Expression, but before digging into that, is there are reason not to just make separate selectors for the different categories?

jcarlson_1-1657196239915.png

Trying to filter on multiple fields with a single selector is likely to be quite a bit more complicated.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
rbuhler
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. I agree that having a selector for each is the simplest solution. I suppose my main interest in grouping them was saving space since I had identified nine weather variables and I already have other selectors for Station Type and Elevation so the side bar is already half full. I suppose I could move the Station Type selecotr to the header and move forward with selectors for each weather variable in the sidebar.

rbuhler_0-1657219381072.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

That makes sense. Unfortunately, until Dashboards implements a contains filter, I don't know if this is possible. I can think of a few things that might be worth attempting, but they're really hacky and maybe won't work.

How is the selector being used, by the way? Is it filtering other non-spatial widgets, or is it interacting with a map? That will make a difference, too.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @rbuhler !

I was coming to your post because I am looking for a solution for a similar problem as yours.

The idea with the buttons in the side panel is already great, thanks for that!

But I am stuck now at the configuration. I also have only 1 for true and 0 for false in my categories. I am trying to use the Defined Values option with only using one category(=1) but I am not able to unselect it like it looks in your screenshot above (see filled buttons in my screenshot). Did you ever make it work as desired? I would like it to look like your list or for my list the option down but without the None option. I just want to be able to click on a button and do the selection and if I click again on the button it should be unselected. But maybe that's just not possible...

Selector.PNG

0 Kudos