Operations Dashboard - Play Sound Action

08-05-2019 01:48 PM
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

I guess this one doesn't have to be too wordy, does it? 

I'd like to propose adding a "Play Sound" action to Operation's Dashboard, hopefully with generic built-in sounds, or by url.wav link from specific features, or static links based on grouped feature values.  

6 Comments
Andrew_Purdon

@DerrickWestoby  this would be a great addition. We have several dashboards on display and important alerts can be missed, a sound alert will go a long way to stop alerts being missed.

DerrickWestoby

Hey Andrew, I found a workaround to this by using the EMBED element with a text-to-speech API. 

Most recent feature (survey123 submission) passes along project name and project number attributes to a URL parameter for a text-to-speech API, and I just have it hidden in the background. 

Andrew_Purdon

Thank you @DerrickWestoby

chaims
by

@DerrickWestoby  Could you please provide some more details on your solution? Which api you used, and how you got it to play as a new record gets submitted? This sounds pretty neat and is something I've been requested to look into.

DerrickWestoby

Hi @chaims - I just spent a half hour trying to find the TTS service/link that I was using, but haven't been able to find it.  I'm afraid I might have deleted the dashboard that was using it when I replaced it with the new one using the new map viewer.   I'm pretty sure that I found it on RapidAPI and the reason this one was unique was that I could use it with URL parameters.  Sorry I can't find that right now, but I'm pretty sure I documented it somewhere (R&D Sandbox scratchpad kinda thing), so I'll look for that this afternoon or tomorrow.  Here's the general setup though - 

1. Create an 'embedded content' element in a Dashboard, aimed at a feature layer. 

2. Source for me was something like https:\\www.[can't-remember-tts-service].com?tts=New UAS Flight log submitted for {projectnumber} - {projectname}.&autoplay=true  (I don't think I had to encode the URL, but I don't remember how I had it set up initially)

3. Using the steps laid out by this blog post, I set it up so the most recent submission (from a survey123 UAS flight log submission) would update the embedded content element and play the sound when a new record was submitted. 

All of this really hinges on finding that TTS site that supported the URL parameters, including auto-play.  I'll keep digging for it, but would appreciate it if someone else could post it if they happen to find it.  

chaims
by

Thank you very much @DerrickWestoby ! I will try to follow this path. I hope an external api will not be blocked from our on-prem deployment by security. I will post if I find something helpful. Thanks!