Collector Offline Map Sync Failed "Unknown error occurred"

Jump to solution
02-26-2020 05:02 PM
ChazOlloqui
New Contributor II

After a long day of collecting data in the field using an offline map area, we've received the Sync Error "Unknown error occurred".  I've followed the instructions of adding global ids to our sde dataset and registering as versioned ("Register the selected objects with the option to move edits to base" unchecked), which allowed us to create an offline map area, but when we try to sync our edits through cell service or wifi, we receive the same error.  Does anyone know why this error would arise? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pfoppe
by MVP
MVP

We found a resolution to our issue on SQL Server.  

The SQL Server built-in "Editor" account "default schema" was mapped to the "data owner" schema.  

by re-mapping the SQL Server "editor" account to its own schema, the offline syncs started working again.  

I realize this 'redacted' screen grab is rough... but...

Using MSSQL Server Management Studio - Login to the instance

Security -> Logins -> "Editor account" -> properties  (opens the window "Login Properties - <account name>")

Choose "User Mappings" on the right

Columns are: 

And you can see the "edit" user was mapped to the "dbo" schema (data owner). This was the problem.  

We re-mapped the default schema to the same account: 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Which version of Collector are you using? New or Classic? If you're using the newer version of Collector, are you able to get a more detailed error message from the logs?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ChazOlloqui
New Contributor II

We are using the new version of Collector.  I have found the logs in Server Manager and have attached the screenshot.  I imagine it is related to the "No path for delta data changes" error...?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting a screenshot of the log! Unfortunately I have to admit that I don't know an exact answer to this issue, but it gives anyone else trying to help a much better lead to go on when troubleshooting.

I did find these pages when researching that error message:

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 Sync Service: No path for delta data changes  

Error: {"code":400,"description","Unable to complete operation."} Failed to execute (Sync Feature Se... 

Maybe those will help? Good luck!!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
ChazOlloqui
New Contributor II

I had just found the first link when I received your reply! I believe I've found the answer, but will respond when I know for sure.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ChazOlloqui
New Contributor II

After referencing the links Katherine Clark‌ has posted, the solutions seem to be isolated to an Oracle database.  We are using SQL Server.  After granting CREATE TABLE privileges to the database user (which I'm sure were already granted), I've tried creating the SDE_UUID_TEMP temporary table manually in our SQL Server database, but still no dice for either of those methods. 

Can someone explain how the ArcGIS Online account we used to collect the offline data is related to the database user?

0 Kudos
pfoppe
by MVP
MVP

We too have started to experience this situation in our ArcGIS Enterprise v10.7.1 environment.  

Quick Tech Details: 

• ArcGIS Enterprise v10.7.1 - MS IIS, Web-adaptor for portal & server, hosting server & federated (non hosting) server. This was upgraded from v10.6.1
  • Publishing from back-end SQL Server 2017 (running Enterprise Geodatabase v10.6.1)
  • Published with a SQL "editor" account (not the data schema owner)

If we publish the service with our data schema owner, then the offline download/sync functions as expected.  If we publish with a built-in SQL Server "editor" account, then the sync fails with the same behavior mentioned in this thread "No path for delta data changes".  All other references we searched for were related to the ORACLE "create table" issues.  

We deployed a feature service with this configuration (sync enabled and published with a built-in SQL 'editor' account) when we originally built the ArcGIS Enterprise environment at v10.6.1 and were successful with offline sync then. Seems possibly related to the v10.7.1 upgrade?

We may try to upgrade the back-end Enterprise Geodatabase to v10.7.1 to see if it resolves, but expect it to continue to fail.  

The back-end SQL Editor account has full "Insert/Create, Update, Delete, Query/Read" permissions on all back-end database tables (including their underlying 'a' and 'd' tables in the traditional versioned configuration). The SQL editor account also has "connect, create table/procedure/view/function" permissions.  

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
pfoppe
by MVP
MVP

We found a resolution to our issue on SQL Server.  

The SQL Server built-in "Editor" account "default schema" was mapped to the "data owner" schema.  

by re-mapping the SQL Server "editor" account to its own schema, the offline syncs started working again.  

I realize this 'redacted' screen grab is rough... but...

Using MSSQL Server Management Studio - Login to the instance

Security -> Logins -> "Editor account" -> properties  (opens the window "Login Properties - <account name>")

Choose "User Mappings" on the right

Columns are: 

And you can see the "edit" user was mapped to the "dbo" schema (data owner). This was the problem.  

We re-mapped the default schema to the same account: 

Hope this helps!

pfoppe
by MVP
MVP

We found another inconsistent configuration on one of our SQL Server environments.  Posting here for the community.  

The account used to publish had the "Connect" permissions granted, but did NOT have the "Create Procedure", "Create Table", or "Create Function".   See (redacted) screenshot: 

Find this in SQL Server Management Studio under "Databases" -> Right-Click the database -> "Properties" -> "Permissions" and choose the account that was published to the server

0 Kudos
JasonWegner
New Contributor III

Hi Patrick, I'm having very similar issues, running SQL as well.  Could you clarify your statement:

Are you talking about the administrative account that you use to connect to the database, and ultimately publish the service?

0 Kudos