Model Builder Iterate Row and Analyze Runway Obstacle

05-02-2022 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
SaraJCourter
New Contributor II

I'm attempting to create a model that will run through all the surfaces with the same description name, analyze the obstacles against the selected OIS surface, then pump out a feature class of the obstacles with the Description at the end of the feature class name (in this case, it would be 3 point feature classes exported from the model). I was able to use the Iterate Row Selection tool to run through the rows in the multipatch, but it's not wanting to run the Analyze Runway Obstacles tool in the model builder. Is it possible for me to run a model that will create separate point feature classes?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KiyoshiYamashita
Esri Contributor

Are you getting any error messages from Analyze Runway Obstacles?  On the surface, it seems like there shouldn't be an issue with the process you describe.  However, if you're trying to append the Description value to the feature class name as-is, you may be running into an issue of invalid feature class names.  The Description includes special characters (spaces, parens, slashes, etc.) that will not be allowed when naming a feature class.

Side note: the output of Analyze Runway Obstacles will include the Description on each feature in a field called DESCRIP.  So another approach might be to run Analyze Runway Obstacles once and then use your model to split the output into separate feature classes afterwards.

0 Kudos
SaraJCourter
New Contributor II

The Description field has been altered to not include spaces or special characters. So that is not what is causing the issues. I've received several different errors after trying my own troubleshooting. The most recent was that it failed and gave me an ERROR 999999.

For this case, that workflow will not work, since I have multiple OIS on the same runway at different dimensions and slopes. I'm looking to basically "select" similar OIS surfaces (i.e. FAR 77) to analyze on one go without having to def query/select by attribute them out manually.

0 Kudos
DavidWickliffe
Esri Contributor

Sara,  It seems that if your OIS Descrip values are unique enough to iterate on to run Analyze Runway Obstacle for separate point output,  then it seems that you could run Analyze Runway Obstacles once on all OIS and then you can use the Split By Attributes tool on the output point feature class to create the separate output.   It seems like you would get the same outcome.

0 Kudos
DavidWickliffe
Esri Contributor

Sara,  are you naming the output  on OIS Description AND Slope in the model?  If that is the case, then I see why that is a problem.  Seems like the key here is if the Description field is distinct enough and it does not include the approach surface Slope values.  

0 Kudos
SaraJCourter
New Contributor II

David, I am not trying to add the Slope in the name of the output feature class. Just the description.

There are multiple surfaces on a runway end we are needing to analyze. A P77, 13A, and a customized State surface. If I run the Analyze Runway Obstacles, will the point feature class output have multiple DeltaZ's and OIS_Z for each surface?

0 Kudos
SaraJCourter
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
DavidWickliffe
Esri Contributor

Yes,  the output points would include a copy of the obstacle point for each OIS surface that it planimetrically intersects- each with its own Delta_Z and OIS_Z pertaining to each OIS surface.

0 Kudos
SaraJCourter
New Contributor II

I had no idea it did that! That would change my workflow and the model I created, but it could be a more efficient model than the one I have now. Thanks, David!

0 Kudos