Configure Layer definition using the Python API?

Jump to solution
09-14-2021 09:51 AM
ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Hello API Community, 

I'm working to automatically copy maps using the Clone Content function. Part of this process is to alter layer definitions for each cloned map. I am looking to create a map, and query a layer in said map where job = A, then clone another map, and query layers where job = B. I don't see anywhere in the API where layers can  be configured to allow queries.

I see in the Service Definition portion of the documentation, a layer can have many parameters set, but I don't see a layer definition/query is one of them.

I am wondering if anyone knows how a layer's query/definition can be changed programmatically?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@ngrid_ShelbyZ ,

Yes, that's possible. See the code snippet below:

# get the layer
buffer_item = gis.content.get('item_id')
# add the layer with query to the web map with a new title/name
web_map.add_layer(buffer_item.layers[0].query("Location_Status = 'Active'"),options={'title':'Active Buffers'})
# save as a new web map
webmap_item_properties = {'title':'Some Active Areas',
                         'snippet':'Map created using Python API showing locations',
                         'tags':['automation', 'webmap', 'features', 'python']}

web_map.save(webmap_item_properties)

Cheers

Mehdi

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@ngrid_ShelbyZ ,

If you want to query feature layers, the following link provides some good examples of querying feature layers:

https://developers.arcgis.com/python/guide/working-with-feature-layers-and-features/

ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Maybe Im not being clear. I'm trying to add layer to a map while specifying a query on layers in that map. I dont see a corresponding parameter that can be set on a layer. Can you confirm if this is not possible via the Python API Add_Layer Function?

Create and Add Layer to Web Map

Set Layer to show Where type= 'Apples'

Save Layer and Map

0 Kudos
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@ngrid_ShelbyZ ,

Yes, that's possible. See the code snippet below:

# get the layer
buffer_item = gis.content.get('item_id')
# add the layer with query to the web map with a new title/name
web_map.add_layer(buffer_item.layers[0].query("Location_Status = 'Active'"),options={'title':'Active Buffers'})
# save as a new web map
webmap_item_properties = {'title':'Some Active Areas',
                         'snippet':'Map created using Python API showing locations',
                         'tags':['automation', 'webmap', 'features', 'python']}

web_map.save(webmap_item_properties)

Cheers

Mehdi

ngrid_ShelbyZ
New Contributor II

Mehdi,

Thank you, this is the solution Im looking for. I'm wondering what format it creates? It seems to be a different format than a normal feature service. Notice how you cant navigate to a description of the service, and the dropdown list of the layer is different. Do you know if this is different that a hosted feature service?

44.png45.png

0 Kudos
MehdiPira1
Esri Contributor

@ngrid_ShelbyZ ,

Glad that was helpful.

This is a temporary feature layer which still does not exist in the Content.

To make it permanent, you need to Save it as layer and create a new item.

MehdiPira1_1-1632115880536.png