CORS Error - Generate Token

Jump to solution
08-03-2021 08:57 AM
AndrewMurdoch1
Occasional Contributor II

Good Day

A function which retrieves the token for a client, and uses it to authenticate to the hosted feature layer, started failing out of the blue, throwing CORS errors from Angular.

The specific error we're getting is:

Access to fetch at 'https://<client>.geopedia.ca/portal/sharing/rest/generateToken' from origin 'http://localhost:4200' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

When we try to access the resource using Insomnia or Postman, we can get a token, and the code we used to fetch the token was working fine a couple of weeks ago, this is the function:

const tokenParams = {
    username:  'blah',
    password:  'blah',
    ip:  '',
    referer:  '',
    client:  'requestip',
    expiration:  '60',
    f:  'pjson'
}

// -ignore
request(this._tokenURL, {params: tokenParams}).then((esriResponse) => {
    request(this.testURL, {params: {token: esriResponse.token}}).then((response) => {
        this._featureLayer = _.cloneDeep(response);
        r(this._featureLayer.fields);
    }).catch((error) => {
        console.log('Error');
        console.log(error);
        j(error);
    });
}).catch((error) => {
   console.log('Error');
   console.log(error);
   this.alert.genericError();
   j(error);
});

I generated the tokenParams object using: https://<client>.geopedia.ca/portal/sharing/rest/generateToken  which will also return a token.  I haven't changed anything in this code in weeks, so I have to assume it's either something on the clients side or ESRI's. 

Has anyone run into similar issues?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Postman gives precise control over headers, in comparison you may not be aware of all the headers that are being generated by the JavaScript-based request() method. That's why we recommend comparing headers between requests that are successful and requests that aren't. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

I took a quick look and it looks like geopedia.ca is a self-hosted Portal? If so, it's possible something changed on their server-side CORS configuration. Otherwise, you'll need to do some testing to figure out which header within the app is triggering the error, or maybe you are missing a header.

0 Kudos
AndrewMurdoch1

Good Day

We can have them look, it's self-hosted, and they've been troubleshooting a problem with ESRI, so they may have changed the settings to something invalid.  It's odd the request works from Post Man / Insomnia, but not from Angular. 

My co-worker also ran the token query from C# and was able to retrieve the token.  We'll reach out to the client in question.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor

Postman gives precise control over headers, in comparison you may not be aware of all the headers that are being generated by the JavaScript-based request() method. That's why we recommend comparing headers between requests that are successful and requests that aren't. 

AndrewMurdoch1

Good Day

The problem is on the client's server, but they don't know how to resolve it.  We've bypassed the issue for now, by using a token and passing it to the request API.

Thanks for your help 🙂

0 Kudos