Best approach for rendering large amounts of polygons on map

01-28-2022 11:09 AM
avecchi
New Contributor II

Hello,

I don't know if this is an unreasonable task that I'm attempting to do but I'm trying to render around 550,000 polygons on a SceneView or MapView but every method that I go with seems to render either too slowly or break the view.

Here are the 2 methods I've tried so far:

- Download all data client side and create a GeoJSON layer based on a client side blob URL

- Upload all data to a hosted FeatureLayer service on ArcGIS

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ReneRubalcava
Frequent Contributor

I assume they are not hosted as a FeatureService? If you upload them as a FeatureService, you can enable caching, and greatly improve performance.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/js-api-arcgis/mapping/performance-improvements-for-jsapi-4...

0 Kudos
avecchi
New Contributor II

They were hosted as a FeatureService but unfortunately I don't think caching will help me as I need to be able to dynamically add new sets of those polygons.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the layer dynamic, or will the features basically stay as they are? Do they vary in size? If there are very small features, you might try setting up a scale-based filter on them, too. Or is there some other reason that all features need to be rendered at once?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
avecchi
New Contributor II

The layer is dynamic, the plan is to insert packets of around 2000 polygons at a time every 30 seconds.

The polygons are all 30m x 30m squares. 

A scale based filter might work but I would need the scale to be pretty high as the idea is to paint a sort of picture on the ground with these squares and be able to click on a square to display its' value.

0 Kudos