Geocoding: Limit Output fields

01-08-2020 10:52 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

ArcGis Pro 2.4.3

When geocoding within an ArcGIS Pro session, it's easy to limit the output fields:

The geocoding tool does not have a parameter (yet?) to do this behind the scenes in arcpy.  I could create a list of all the fields I don't want and delete them after the fact, but I'm hoping there may be a way to limit them up front.

That should just about do it....
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So the Create Locator tool grays out some of the fields that are added to the output of the address locator.  These grayed out fields might also be unnecessary in the output of a tool such as Geocode Addresses that could use this type of locator.  As a result, the output of that tool has fields that cannot be deleted from the output feature class.  I ask that the address locator be made more configurable so these grayed out fields can be deleted in the output feature class depending upon the business needs of the user.  This would be an optional parameter as some endusers might need to make use of these fields in the business workflows.

ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

In Pro 2.7 we added functionality to limit what output fields are returned in the geocode result by adding an optional Output Fields parameter to all of the geocoding geoprocessing tools and Geocode Table. The 4 fields that are disabled in the screenshot above are necessary to be able to review and rematch the geocode results. Below is a description of the available options.

• All — Includes all available locator output fields in the geocode results. This is the default.
  • Location Only —Stores the Shape field in the geocode results. The original field names from the Input Table parameter are maintained with their original field names. Rematching geocode results is not available with this option.
  • Minimal —Adds the following fields that describe the location and how well it matches to information in the locator in the geocode results: Shape, Status, Score, Match_type, Match_addr, and Addr_type. The original field names from the Input Table parameter are maintained with their original field names.

Click the following link and scroll up to the last parameter, https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/geocoding/geocode-addresses.htm#GUID-0F66B6E...

0 Kudos