Will 120 Gigabyte Scene Layer Package perform OK in AGOL?

Jump to solution
04-13-2022 10:42 PM
GeorgieCassar1
New Contributor III

I have been provided a Scene Layer Package that is large - 120 GB

It contains an Integrated Mesh model covering 92 km2.

I would like to upload/publish it on ArcGIS online to our organisation members.

Apparently it is version 1.6 of i3s

Before I upload this and publish it, can anyone advise if it will actually perform ok ? 

Are users going to be waiting for hours?

Should I be converting to later i3s version first?

Should I split it up ?

---------

I did see this article that suggests to extract the large slpk file back to it's i3s content and then register the content location as a data store and publish it using python code.  What’s New in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1: Publishing large scene layers in a snap (esri.com)

I look forward to hearing from anyone with experience in large scene layer packages.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes this will work after its published.

If you make any changes you can publish a new scene layer from a new SLPK and use the Replace Scene Layer option on the item details page for the old scene layer and this will seamlessly swap out the scene layers and you can archive the old one or delete it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@GeorgieCassar1 dont forget, this is a worflow for Enterprise not AGOL. I don't think it'll work with AGOL.

I've published 20GB slpks without issue, but the number of concurrent users isn't particularly high. I think, so long as you havent got more than 10-20 concurrent users, you should be fine.

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

I would recommend upgrading the scene layer to the latest I3S Version using the Upgrade Scene Layer geoprocessing tool.

From there you can use the share package geoprocessing tool to share the package to ArcGIS Online. Please let me know if you run into any issues.

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes this will work after its published.

If you make any changes you can publish a new scene layer from a new SLPK and use the Replace Scene Layer option on the item details page for the old scene layer and this will seamlessly swap out the scene layers and you can archive the old one or delete it.

0 Kudos
GeorgieCassar1
New Contributor III

Thank you.  

It did take a few attempts to upload which I did using the Share package tool. However once published it performs fairly well as long as you have a capable graphics processor. Our office has a mix of physical machines and virtual machines. The graphics processor on our VM's will not display the Web scene at all. That is an IT issue at our end.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos