Visualising roots of trees in the Javascript API

12-03-2022 12:17 PM
SJonker
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am using the Javascript API  v4.24.7.

I am wondering if it would be possible to render a 3D cube underneath a model of a tree. This cube will represent where the roots are (roughly). Ideally, I would like to change the height of the tree AND cube based on the length of the tree.

The reason I want to do this is because the application is also showing some cables and sewers and it would be interesting to see if the trees + roots are close to any.

I am aware of the different renderer types in the Javascript API, but I am not quite sure if I can visualize two symbols at once, one of them being below the surface.

Currently, I've got the following renderer config for my layer with the tree data:

{
 "renderer": {
        "type": "simple",
        "symbol": {
          "type": "web-style",
          "name": "Frangula",
          "styleName": "EsriThematicTreesStyle"
        }
  }
}

This renderer shows me the trees perfectly fine. I presume I would need to add a symbol layer for a cube, and then somehow tell the renderer to draw that symbol underneath the tree web-style symbol.

I am not entirely sure if this is possible and how to go about it, I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
David_McRitchie
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I absolutely love this idea! I believe it should be possible, but it might depend on how the data is set up and added to the scene.

Within most 3D Scenes I have seen, trees are usually symbolised from point features, so in these cases a polygon feature class could be set up, and extruded by their Z value to the depth of the Root system.

The following code sample might provide some help as it shows how to set up the underground navigation for your application.

I hope that provides some help.

Esri UK -Technical Support Analyst
0 Kudos