How to import voxel layer in ArcGIS Online with time axis?

Jump to solution
05-10-2022 01:44 AM
Felix10546
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I have an netCDF file in hand which follows the format of the netCDF file in training material "atlantic_stride_56.nc". 

I can successfully view it in ArcGIS Pro as a 4 dimensions voxel layer (x,y,z, time) with time axis bar. 

Felix10546_0-1652169203010.png

However, I meet 2 problems when I upload and view it on ArcGIS Online.

One is dropping of basemap. 2nd is no time axis available.

My Question:  Does ArcGIS Online Scene View support time dimension for voxel layer?

I see there is an update in scene viewer but no time dimension is involved.

What's New in Scene Viewer (March 2022)

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/3d-gis/whats-new-scene-viewer-march-2022/

1st method:  I used GP tool "Create Voxel Scene Layer Content" to create a local .slpk file. Then I add the local slpk file to AGOL and make a hoisted scene layer.

Felix10546_3-1652169540429.png

Result: It dropped my base map even through even through its xy coord system is WGS1984 web.

Felix10546_4-1652169674853.png

I think the problem is the strange vertical coordinate system in voxel layer in ArcGIS online

Felix10546_5-1652170074530.png

I can't even add base map to it. It is grey! I also cannot change the vertical coordination system for the voxel in ArcGIS Online.

Felix10546_6-1652170145652.png

The most important is that there is NO time bar selectable for the voxel layer!!!

2nd method:  In ArcGIS Pro, under "Share" , select "Web Scene"

Result: same as 1st method

3rd method:  On ArcGIS Online, add Imagery layer and choose tiled imagery Layer

Felix10546_8-1652171306186.png

choose mosaicked image

Felix10546_9-1652171403142.png

Choose my netCDF file and proceed.

Result: Creation failed

Felix10546_12-1652171456615.png

I have succeed in making uv flow diagram using crf and import it as ArcGIS Online.

However, it failed for netCDF.

I see the importation worked from 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis/imagery/visualize-raster-using-a-vector-field-in-ar...

Thankful to anyone that help on this!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

The Scene Viewer requires all cached layers to have both the same horizontal coordinate system as well as vertical coordinate system. Since the basemaps do not have the same vertical coordinate system as the voxel layer they are dropped automatically. What I would do is create a projection file with just the Web Mercator horizontal coordinate system and place it in next to the netCDF file in the file system. This will override the netCDF coordinate system so when you re-add the netCDF as a voxel layer you should see no VCS. From there you can then create the voxel scene layer package and publish it as a voxel scene layer. Regarding the time slider, this is not available in the Scene Viewer.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/voxel-layer-freqently-asked-q... 

thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ArmandoFreites16
New Contributor III

I have the first problem too

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

The Scene Viewer requires all cached layers to have both the same horizontal coordinate system as well as vertical coordinate system. Since the basemaps do not have the same vertical coordinate system as the voxel layer they are dropped automatically. What I would do is create a projection file with just the Web Mercator horizontal coordinate system and place it in next to the netCDF file in the file system. This will override the netCDF coordinate system so when you re-add the netCDF as a voxel layer you should see no VCS. From there you can then create the voxel scene layer package and publish it as a voxel scene layer. Regarding the time slider, this is not available in the Scene Viewer.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/voxel-layer-freqently-asked-q... 

thanks,

Andrew