How to Georeference multipatch files?

Jump to solution
05-31-2017 03:46 AM
XevGoh
by
New Contributor II

(updated question) Hello! I have a 3d problem that I hope the community can guide me on!

Data Sources:

• Files in 3DS and DAE format

Steps taken so far:

• Used Import 3D Files Tool on ArcScene to convert the 3DS files for visualisation in ArcScene

Problem: The multipatch output generated using Multipath footprint Tool came with my preferred coordinates system, but it does not appears with the rest of my georeferenced items. 

Question: is there a way to georeference the multipatch files on ArcScene/ other ArcGIS softwares? 

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XevGoh
by
New Contributor II

Hi everybody, I figured the answer to my question, thought i'll share my workflow here too!

Solution: 

• Multipatch files can be edited in ArcMap
  • Use Spatial Adjustment Tool in ArcMap to georeference the 3D output to a georeferenced basemap
    • When adjusting data, choose all features in this layer
    • Add links
    • Adjust
  • The adjusted output should be georeferenced after this and will appear in the correct place when viewed in ArcScene!

Have a good day

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

You will need to edit a multipatch feature class and place the model during that edit session. You could also symbolize a point feature class with the model and convert the symbolized points to a multipatch feature class. You may have to export it as a recognizable format such as DAE/3DS/FLT if your multipatch is not recognizable.

How to import an existing 3D model into a multipatch feature class—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I have also moved this discussion to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/3d?sr=search&searchId=bad29260-f0e2-4122-b047-27084b011159&...‌ as GeoNet Help is for information and questions related the community.

0 Kudos
XevGoh
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Timothy for placing my discussion in the correct space! 

I have visited the webpage on "how to import an existing 3D model into a multipatch feature class" before, but unfortunately still did not manage to advance further. I have updated my question to reflect my methodologies thus far! 

XevGoh
by
New Contributor II

Hi everybody, I figured the answer to my question, thought i'll share my workflow here too!

Solution: 

• Multipatch files can be edited in ArcMap
  • Use Spatial Adjustment Tool in ArcMap to georeference the 3D output to a georeferenced basemap
    • When adjusting data, choose all features in this layer
    • Add links
    • Adjust
  • The adjusted output should be georeferenced after this and will appear in the correct place when viewed in ArcScene!

Have a good day

ABDURRAHAMANMIRZA
New Contributor

Tried many times, but spatial adjust leads 3d model into 2d

0 Kudos