3D Windturbines as obj. to point Files

04-20-2022 05:47 AM
Hackepeter
New Contributor II

Hey there
The goal of my project is three dimensional wind turbines on specified points in my SceneLayer in a specified area.
For this i have one obj. file as wind turbine and several point files as .shp.

Now I would like to transfer these 3D objects to each point, is there a solid and easy way in ArcGIS Pro?

3 Replies
RKathieMcClung
New Contributor III

Super interesting idea, but I am too new to be much help. I'd like to see the outcome and answers to that too. Maybe you could add tags to your post to get some reactions (faster?) and answers. Just a thought.

RK McClung

0 Kudos
RKathieMcClung
New Contributor III

Hi Again, 

I spoke too fast. I errored in that the  tags didn't show up on my side and I suggested them. After sending, I could see  you have tagged your post. Not sure why that occurred on my side. I am shearing the learning curve to new heights! 🙂

RK McClung

0 Kudos
ZhongmingAn
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am using blender along with the GIS plugin. You should be able to load the points into blender, but do make sure choosing the correct reference system (NAD1983 UTM Zone 16N, for example) when importing.

SettingGCS.PNG

Once imported, the points should be displayed in the middle of the view port since blender does not handle huge numbers well, but there will be a shift in x and y and you can find that information in scene properties tab->custom properties. 

ZhongmingAn_0-1674660009172.png

You should be able to align the models easily in blender with snapping turned on and then you can export the models either separately or as a whole. I think you need to export the models with z axis up and y axis front.

Import the model into ArcGIS Pro and the model should be in somewhere weird. I don't recommend zoom to layer at this point but instead, you can open up the attribute table of the multipatch and select the models. Go to edit and select "move to". From there you might want to use delta instead of absolute and then you can put the shift in x and y in there and your model should be really close to your points (my PC is a potato so I have to use 2D view). I usually just stop right here since my purpose is just visualization but if you need it to be really accurate, you can always make adjustments in ArcGIS Pro.

ZhongmingAn_2-1674660208810.png

ZhongmingAn_1-1674660111672.png

To be honest I don't think this is an easy way but it works for me most of the time and I hope it helps.

0 Kudos