Working with legend patches/symbology

09-12-2012 09:23 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Hello folks,

I am working with a legend in a map from ArcGIS 10.1. The map is used as a template and will be used many times to create different maps. The legend is used to show a soil type and it's descriptor:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17633[/ATTACH]

So, in other words, I have set my layer symbology to unique values, add all values, single field and I have turned off all the symbology so that the patches do not show up in the legend.

The solution I am looking for, is to avoid having to manually turn off the symbology all the time. I just want to 'Add All Values' and have the item and Description populate in the legend without the symbology patch.

I don't think there is a checkbox/button that does this in the layers properties symbology tab, but I was trying to figure out how to do this in the legend properties dialogue box. So far, I can't seem to figure it out. It seems like any of the styles under the Legend-->Properties-->Items tab requires a patch, label and description. There is no option to just choose the label and description. Am I missing it somewhere?

Thanks,
Mike
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies