Which tool do I need to join these layers?

Discussion created by Slaughtontdc on Jul 18, 2012
Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 by BritishSteel
Hi guys

I want to combine two layers into one but where there is an overlap I want it to make it into one polygon.

I thought it was the union tool and it looked okay until I put an outline on and I realised it was still two polygons.

I have sketched out what I want and what I got from the Union and attached it.  Can anyone advise on what I need to do?