A word of warning about deleting users in ArcGIS for Orgs

07-05-2012 08:53 AM
JimLacy
New Contributor II
Sharing the following so that somebody else doesn't make the same dumb mistake I did:

When inviting users to your organization, they have an option to either associate an existing "personal" account with your Org, or create a new ArcGIS Online account.  When responding to my invite, one of my users didn't think twice about simply associating with the org despite the clear warning (which I wasn't aware of until after the fact):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15785[/ATTACH]

As I later learned, removing a user from the organization deletes their ArcGIS Online account entirely... doesn't simply remove them from the organization, which is the behavior I expected.  Oops.  Clicking on the delete icon in the org administrator view does fail if they have content in their name, but it doesn't say "hey, you realize this will kill their entire account, right?!"

Doc reference: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisonline/help/index.html#//010q00000067000000

Lesson learned.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AliciaNewberry
New Contributor III
Does anyone happen to know if the ESRI global account, not the organization account, survives if you delete them as a user from your organization account? For instance, if I don't care about my ArcGIS Online content, but all of my ESRI training and such is associated with the same account, will my training and other things associated with my global account be removed when I'm deleted from an organization?

Thanks,
Alicia
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Your Esri global account is not deleted. It is simply disassociated with ArcGIS Online.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos