bvjohnson87

Dissolving Lines

Discussion created by bvjohnson87 on Jun 20, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2012 by mdenil
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15386[/ATTACH]Hello.  I have a stream feature class.  The streams are divided into many, connected line segments.  I also have a layer of multiple polygons representing linear ROW areas.  My goal is to calculate how many continuous streams pass through the ROW.  My workflow has been: Intersect the stream line layer with the polygon ROW layer.  This produces a line layer representing only stream lines that fall within the ROW polygons.  My next step is to dissolve in a way such that all connected line segments become a single line feature and all unconnected line segments remain as individual features.  I used the Dissolve tool, and unchecked the Create Multipart option.  I expected this to dissolve all connected line segments into a single feature, but leave unconnected line segments as-is.  In areas where there is a stream confluence, this did not happen.  The connected segments remained as individual features.  I do believe the lines are actually connected; I zoomed in to something like 1:0.1 and they still looked connected.  Does anyone know how I can dissolve this stream layer so that all connected line segments become a single feature?

Below is a image of what resulted.  The numbered segments remained after I ran a dissolve.  I want to dissolve them such that these connected segments become a single line feature to represent a single stream crossing.

Thank you.

Attachments

Outcomes