GeoPDF not working properly

06-06-2012 02:50 PM
deleted-user-dbQhBq-o3nyM
Occasional Contributor
Using ArcMap 10, I exported a map document to an interactive GeoPDF using the following options on:

Save as type: PDF

General
Resolution: 300 dpi
Output Image Quality: Best
Ratio: 1:1

Format
Destination Colorspace: RGB
Compress Vector Graphics: ON
Image Compression: LZW
Picture Symbol: Rasterize layers with any picture marker/fill
Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons: OFF
Embed All Document Fonts: ON

Advanced
Layers and Attributes: Export PDF Layers and Feature Attributes
Export Map Georeference Information: ON

Clip Output to Graphics Extent: OFF

When I open the PDF, there are three layers - one layer consists of the title, legend, and north arrow, another layer contains the map outline, the other layer contains an image of all the layers I want to be able to turn on and off, but they're compressed into one layer called Image. How do I get the "Image" layer to separate into the individual layers found in my regular map document? Why is it all or nothing?

Attached is a copy of the PDF I've produced.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
It appears as though one of the layers in the map has a transparency set on it; the grey polygon with red outline.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this also may be the topmost layer in the table of contents.  If so, what's happening is that the layer with the transparency is being rasterized, (or turned into an image), and all layers beneath that layer with the transparency are being rasterized as well, resulting in one Image layer.  Take a look at this resource regarding exporting to pdfs, and why layers in the Table of Contents of ArcMap don't match the layers in the PDF.

Finally, regarding the "Other" layers in the pdf, I'd suggest you play around with grouping all layout elements by selecting them, right clicking on one element, and clicking Group.  This will create one "Other" layer in the pdf.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
It was 20% transparent, but it wasn't the top layer. Thanks for you advice. I will try what you said and let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
After changing the transparencies back to 0% and ungrouping layers, I was able to get everything to display properly in the GeoPDF. Thanks for you help.
0 Kudos
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
It appears as though one of the layers in the map has a transparency set on it; the grey polygon with red outline.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but this also may be the topmost layer in the table of contents.  If so, what's happening is that the layer with the transparency is being rasterized, (or turned into an image), and all layers beneath that layer with the transparency are being rasterized as well, resulting in one Image layer.  Take a look at this resource regarding exporting to pdfs, and why layers in the Table of Contents of ArcMap don't match the layers in the PDF.

Finally, regarding the "Other" layers in the pdf, I'd suggest you play around with grouping all layout elements by selecting them, right clicking on one element, and clicking Group.  This will create one "Other" layer in the pdf.

I am experiencing the same issue with 10.1. I have two point feature datasets, on top of two semi-transparent polygon feature datasets, as well as a basemap. I have group the polygons together, however I am still getting the Image and Other layers in the PDF file, despite trying the options above, e.g. vectorising.

Call me a cynic but it looks to me that ESRI is trying to push users down the Publisher route. Regardless, any help/advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
I am experiencing the same issue with 10.1. I have two point feature datasets, on top of two semi-transparent polygon feature datasets, as well as a basemap. I have group the polygons together, however I am still getting the Image and Other layers in the PDF file, despite trying the options above, e.g. vectorising.

Call me a cynic but it looks to me that ESRI is trying to push users down the Publisher route. Regardless, any help/advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

You are certainly going to need to turn your transparencies to 0% and ungroup whatever you have grouped. Otherwise, there isn't much of an option. Believe me, I spent a lot of time messing around with it before I gave into ESRI's solution.
0 Kudos
DarrochKaye
Occasional Contributor
You are certainly going to need to turn your transparencies to 0% and ungroup whatever you have grouped. Otherwise, there isn't much of an option. Believe me, I spent a lot of time messing around with it before I gave into ESRI's solution.

That's very poor from ESRI. I'm not going to comprimise on the look of any map just for some PDF functionality. I've had 10.1 for less than a week and this is one of many issues I've experienced. I am already considering rolling back to v10, not impressed.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
That's very poor from ESRI. I'm not going to comprimise on the look of any map just for some PDF functionality. I've had 10.1 for less than a week and this is one of many issues I've experienced. I am already considering rolling back to v10, not impressed.

I'm not impressed with how much ESRI wants to charge for ArcGIS online for an organization. It's absurd! Other cloud-based storage companies give you anywhere from 2 GB to 5 GB for free. As always ESRI wants your arm and leg for it. It's insane!
0 Kudos
CarmellaBurdi
New Contributor II
I'm piggy-backing off this thread because my issue is very similar.

I am attempting to create a GeoPDF. I have several layers that I would like to show up as layers in the GeoPDF so that I can turn them on/off. However, when I export my map they do not all show up.

I do not have any transparencies or definition queries happening. I only have one data frame in my map. Yet, only 2 of the 7 layers I would like to view will show up in my GeoPDF. Everything else gets clumped together under "image."

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this to work correctly? It is extremely frustrating as I've made PDFs in the past with over 7 layers and they've appeared just fine.

NOTE: I have tried grouping/ungrouping layers to get things to appear or not. I have tried vectorizing picture images (does not work). I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
0 Kudos
DaveTewksbury
New Contributor III
Been a bit since I was exporting GeoPDFs but if I remember correctly, you can only get one raster layer. All rasters compress to a single "image" with whatever raster was "on top" being the one that is shown as the image layer. Shapefiles, points, lines, polygons will each save as individual layers, but rasters will not (if I'm remembering correctly).

Are some of the layers rasters?

Currently not on a machine where I can test this.

Cheers,

Dave

I'm piggy-backing off this thread because my issue is very similar.

I am attempting to create a GeoPDF. I have several layers that I would like to show up as layers in the GeoPDF so that I can turn them on/off. However, when I export my map they do not all show up.

I do not have any transparencies or definition queries happening. I only have one data frame in my map. Yet, only 2 of the 7 layers I would like to view will show up in my GeoPDF. Everything else gets clumped together under "image."

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting this to work correctly? It is extremely frustrating as I've made PDFs in the past with over 7 layers and they've appeared just fine.

NOTE: I have tried grouping/ungrouping layers to get things to appear or not. I have tried vectorizing picture images (does not work). I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
0 Kudos