"US Streets" Style Locator in 10?

Jump to solution
05-21-2012 10:37 AM
KevinHighland
Occasional Contributor II
Hello all,

I used a "US Streets" style locator in 9.3 that is pretty much the "US Address - Dual Ranges" style in 10, except "US Streets" has only 9 mapped fields for the primary table instead of 21 for "US Address - Dual Ranges."

My problem: With the old "US Streets" styles, candidates could be generated by typing in just a street name. A list of address ranges along the street would come up without you typing in an address number. This doesn't work with the "US Address - Dual Ranges" style in 10. The same five fields (attached image) - and only these five - are mapped in both locators, but "US Address - Dual Ranges" seems a lot stricter. Dropping down spelling sensitivity and minimum candidate score doesn't help.

I tried modifying the USAddress.lot file to include a "US Streets" locator, but it fails to create a locator of this custom style.

Does anyone have code for the "US Streets" style that I can drop into USAddress.lot? Or does anyone have any recommendations for getting the "US Address - Dual Ranges" style to yield candidates without an address number being included?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
If you go into the locator loc file, you can change the property "supportsEmptyHouseNumber" to true and this should work.

Brad

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
If you go into the locator loc file, you can change the property "supportsEmptyHouseNumber" to true and this should work.

Brad
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
Did not know that property existed. Seems to have done the trick.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
These properties will be exposed through the UI at 10.1 but for the time being, they have to be modified through the loc file.

Brad
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
These properties will be exposed through the UI at 10.1 but for the time being, they have to be modified through the loc file.

Brad

That sounds really cool....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
KevinHighland
bwragg-

I ended up reverting back to the standard streets locator setup. supportsEmptyHouseNumber broke the results for specific locations on a street range. So "5 st name" would return the same results as "st name."

What we told users who wanted to find the beginning of a street with just "st name" is to enter in the single street name twice, as if it's intersecting itself (which every segment actually is doing). For example "Encinitas Blvd & Encinitas Blvd" takes you to the beginning of the lowest range for Encinitas Blvd. This is my desired result for "Encinitas Blvd" when using supportsEmptyHouseNumber. Our users (not GIS-savvy) have seemed to grasp this "intersecting itself" concept and we no longer have the need for supportsEmptyHouseNumber.

I hope this helps.
Kevin
0 Kudos