Terrain alternatives

05-09-2012 08:58 AM
TalAisenberg
New Contributor III
Hi,

Currently we are using the standard method of terrain - a mapping layer coupled with a texture one. Problem is the topography is far from accurate. We usually get the contours from CAD so they are very accurate, then we need to translate it into raster which less so and into CE which in turn gives really strange results.

I've attached a photo to show how contours (which are on the underlying texture) are quite different from what the terrain is doing. (contours should be flat on the surface as are supposed to be equal-elevation)

Is there a way to use the innately accurate CAD contours instead of a map layer ? We can also convert that into a surface via Civil / Sketchup or other applications if need be.

Cheers
T
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I assume that the heightmap and the texturemap do not have the exact same extent, which they need. thus, the texturemap shifts on top of the terrain since it is exaclty repeated once over the whole terrain.

How do you convert the contour lines ? Do you know the product 'Leveller' by Daylong Graphics ?
0 Kudos
TalAisenberg
New Contributor III
That's a possibility, I'll need to double-check size and extent.

The problem we have is that our contours are all georeferenced (DXF/DWG) while our maps aren't as all are produced in photoshop and I'm not sure how to georeference once we export them from Photoshop. So what I usually do is insert the map and slowly bring it to place and size until it matches, so the accuracy is not 100% but pretty close to.

I haven't heard of leveller so had a look, the snapshot there looks more realistic than the DEM we get in CE using output from Autodesk Civil, do you think that will solve the problem ?
And what about the georeferencing issue for the texture - would Leveller sort that too ?

T

Hi,

I assume that the heightmap and the texturemap do not have the exact same extent, which they need. thus, the texturemap shifts on top of the terrain since it is exaclty repeated once over the whole terrain.

How do you convert the contour lines ? Do you know the product 'Leveller' by Daylong Graphics ?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

No idea whether georeferencing pictures is something Leveller can do .. sry..
0 Kudos