deleted-user-IR249IovB3CN

ArcScene export scene resolution confusion

Discussion created by deleted-user-IR249IovB3CN on Apr 26, 2012
Latest reply on May 3, 2012 by deleted-user-IR249IovB3CN
I am trying to export a shaded relief view of a classified raster developed in ArcScene 10 to be used as a layer in Arcmap 10 for developing a map. Essentially I am trying to drape a dataset over the bathymetry of the Gulf of Mexico providing a painted effect with the classified data as opposed to being restricted to using transparency in ArcMap. I have tried exporting the scene to jpg and tif but the resulting image file does not match the data extent in ArcMap. Any guidance or suggestion for a better workflow would be greatly appreciated. I'm afraid I just do not understand what is going on.

Here are the layer property  settings:

Classified Raster - Coord Sys - North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic, resolution = 1000m,  Base heights= "floating on custom surface" -Bathymetry, Coord Sys= North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic, original surface resolution= 290m, base surface resolution= 290m

Bathymetry - Coord Sys= North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic, resolution= 290m, Base Heights= "floating on custom surface" -Bathymetry, Coord Sys= North_America_Albers_Equal_Area_Conic, original surface resolution= 290m, base surface resolution= 290m

Export Scene Settings - 2D
Save as type: JPEG
Resolution: 400 dpi
Width: 6042 pixels
Height: 2721 pixels
Write World File selected
Scene Size: 6042 pixels (default was 1450) I don't understand what this setting does to the export, perhaps the final image resolution??

When adding the exported scene image file to a map document overlaying the source data it is smaller than the source data. See attachment. What am I doing wrong or overlooking. I suspect the "Scene Size" setting but don't know for sure.

Attachments

Outcomes