Add X,Y data not working?

04-19-2012 01:37 PM
SamanthaM
New Contributor
I am simply trying to make point shapefiles from x,y data. It doesn't seem to work, perhaps I am doing it incorrectly. Please check the image below it fully illustrates the issue I am having.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13683[/ATTACH]
Thank you
0 Kudos
16 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
You mixed up your lat and longs.
0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III
I am simply trying to make point shapefiles from x,y data. It doesn't seem to work, perhaps I am doing it incorrectly. Please check the image below it fully illustrates the issue I am having.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13683[/ATTACH]
Thank you

You sure you're using your x and y values correctly in the input??
0 Kudos
SamanthaM
New Contributor
You mixed up your lat and longs.

I switched the values around, no result.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13686[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
By chance are your longitudes missing a negative sign?
0 Kudos
SamanthaM
New Contributor
By chance are your longitudes missing a negative sign?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am not sure what you are trying to tell me. The coordinates in the original image 33.159106, -97.105016 when entered in google maps take you to the exact spot I am trying to import into ArcGIS. If the coordinates when entered into google maps display correctly, it shouldnt be missing any negative signs.
0 Kudos
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
The problem is that you selected Projected Coordinate System as a 'Coordinate System of Input Coordinates' and it should be Geographic Coordinate System (GCS).
Google uses WGS 1984 as a GCS so to use this GCS for your data you have to:
- in Spatial Reference Properties dialog box click Select
- then Geographic Coordinate System -> World -> WGS 1984.prj

BTW: coordinates assignment standard is:
X Field - Longitude: -97.105016
Y Field - Latitude: 33.159106
SamanthaM
New Contributor
The problem is that you selected Projected Coordinate System as a 'Coordinate System of Input Coordinates' and it should be Geographic Coordinate System (GCS).
Google uses WGS 1984 as a GCS so to use this GCS for your data you have to:
- in Spatial Reference Properties dialog box click Select
- then Geographic Coordinate System -> World -> WGS 1984.prj

BTW: coordinates assignment standard is:
X Field - Longitude: -97.105016
Y Field - Latitude: 33.159106

Revisiting this thread, attempted this solution today. However, before I can do a projection there are some problems I need to resolve I believe. When I go to file-> add data-> xy data and import my excel file it gives me an ArcMap Drawing Error. In addition, the attribute table for the XY data added is completely blank. Please see the image below to clearly illustrate the problem
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13940[/ATTACH]

I assume these are issues I need to resolve before I can fix the GCS projection issue.

In fact, I tried simply going to this XY point by using the Go to XY tool and inputing the long 32.680252 and lat -97.039914 followed by zoom to, and nothing happens
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
ArcMap doesn't like spaces in the field names. While you're removing those, make sure there are no extra spaces at the beginning or end of your field names. It doesn't look there are any, but for future reference ArcMap also doesn't like funny characters in your field names (for example, '#').

Also, there is no such thing as latitude -97.039914.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
check up further, that was longitude not latitude
0 Kudos