Issues Configuring & Saving Pop-Ups in ArcGIS Online

04-18-2012 12:41 PM
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
We continue to have issues with pop-up behavior in the ArcGIS Online Personal account environment.  In the simple map viewer environment I am not able to save pop-up settings back to the service using the 'Save Item Properties' option.  Even though I am the site owner and the owner of the map and the service the 'Save Item Properties' option remains grayed out and the similar option in Explorer Online does not work, either.  This web app was originally created using the simple map viewer, so we are not really sure what is going on.  Any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13650[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I believe I can reproduce your problem. It appears that configuring the popup from Explorer Online somehow corrupts the web map. We'll need to investigate more. In the mean time, I have found no issue with simply editing the popup within the arcgis.com map viewer. You may need to create a new web map, as I suspect it's the web map that is corrupt somehow...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
After doing some more testing, this appears to be a problem specifically with Explorer Online. Is that your experience?  I have found that I seem to always be able to edit the popup configuration in the ArcGIS.com map viewer. However, If I edit in Explorer Online, the changes I make to my popup don't seem to get saved to the service, nor can I save the web map.

I am, however, able to edit the web map in the ArcGIS.com map viewer and save the properties back to the service without problem. Previously, you mentioned the Save Item Properties was grayed out. It will be grayed out if there is nothing to save. Are you sure you clicked the Save Popup button when you were configuring your popup?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

Sorry for the delay in response.  I got pulled off on other things.  The behavior persists and I now face having to reconfigure or rebuild a number of fairly complex web apps to get this thing working again.  For example, we run the same complex map service - airport utilities - in about four different web apps and no I either have to rebuild all of them or go back in and individually reconfigure pop-ups on dozens of utility layers, each with up to 15 attribute fields.  I find it unusual that a feature that worked fine for almost a year (which is about how long we've been using our Personal account) suddenly 'broke'.  My guess is there was a behind the scenes change to the technology. 

Any chance that what 'broke' behind the scenes will 'unbreak' any time soon and fix the issue?  I really don't want to spend a day or more rebuilding these things...

Brian
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, the website will not be updated in the near term, so this problem will persist. This isn't as clear-cut a problem as I originally thought. I was having problems with my account. Popup configurations were pretty much working for me when I use another account I have.

Is your service public? Can you post the URL here? Maybe it's something specific to your service.

As I mentioned before, are you sure you saved the popup configuration (clicking the button at the bottom of the panel once you make changes)? The menu button to save back to the service item will be grayed out if you didn't.

It's possible that the popup properties are getting saved to the service, but they're getting overridden by the current web map that contains it. You don't actually need to save a web map to author the popup properties for a service. Find the service in My Content and open it. You can then modify the popup properties and save them back to the item, then just discard the web map.

Here's what I suggest. Directly open the service in a new map and see what how the popup properties are configured. This will rule out the possibility that your existing web map is overriding what's set on the service. If they look correct, then all is good. If not, you can correct it and save the changes back to the service item. You can then go to your existing web map and remove the layer pointing to the service and add it back again. Explorer Online also has the option to reset the popup, which should revert to what the service defines, I believe.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos