ArcCATALOG10:Using Table to Domain tool to create a domain from a table for GBD Sche

01-30-2012 11:25 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,
I bought a copy of book �??GISTUTORIAL3 Advanced Workbook�?� written by David W. Allen and Jeffery M. Coffey. In the last few months, I studied Computer Aid Software Engineering (CASE) and Unified Modeling Language (UML) and did the ESRI Tutorial "Designing Geodatabases with Visio 2007 in ArcGIS 10" to understand the creating of the geodatabases schema. Now, I come back to do the Creating a geodatabase, Chapter 2 of the book �??GISTUTORIAL3 Advanced Workbook�?�. I am doing its Tutorial 2-1, Building a geodatabase (from Page34 to Page 42): I have difficulties to do the first 3 steps (on Pages 42 & 43) of Create a domain from a table - please see the attached file for details.   Please kindly help and tell me how I can start the Steps 1 and 2 on Page 42 worked for me. 
Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ScottChang
New Contributor II
To ESRI:
I am sure that the Table to Domain tool for the tool's dialog box in my ArcCatalog 10 is not working for me - it is a bug in your software.  (1) Please fix it. (2) Is any different way (like Python programming) to get the Table to Domain task done in ArcCatalog 10?  Please kindly respond and advise.
Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
To ESRI:
I am sure that the Table to Domain tool for the tool's dialog box in my ArcCatalog 10 is not working for me - it is a bug in your software.  (1) Please fix it. (2) Is any different way (like Python programming) to get the Table to Domain task done in ArcCatalog 10?  Please kindly respond and advise.
Thanks,
Scott Chang

I am able to run the table to domain tool without issue. Can you please post sample data and a screenshot of the parameters you are using to run the tool?
0 Kudos
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi Russell, Thanks for your response.
I have an attached file in my first post that shows the screenshot of Create a domain from a table=> Step 1: In ArcCatalog, use the Search tool to locate the Table to Domain tool. Step 2: Double click Table to Domain to start the tool. In the dialog box, click the Browse button next to Input Table. Browse through the C:\ESRIPress\GIST3\Data folder for the table Suffix.txt. Click the table, and then click ADD.  No matter what I click (double-left-click, double-right-click, single-left-click, or single-right-click) on the Table to Domain (Data Management) and nothing happens!!!  Here in this post attachment is the table Suffix.txt from my C:\ESRIPress\GIST3\Data folder for you to look at.   One more thing to tell you: my ArcGIS 10 software program is installed in the C:\Drive of my terminal PC that is connected to Microsoft NT 4 LAN System.  Can this cause the problem in accessing the Table to Domain tool?    Please kindly help and advise in resolving this strange problem.
Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Good News to tell you/the new users of Creating Geodatabase Schema:

This morning, I figured out the way to get  the �??Table to Domain�?� tool:  
   Click �??Geoprocessing�?� menu => ArcToolbox => Data Management Tools => Domain => Table To Domain,
   Then followed the Step 2 on Page 42 of the Book "GIST3" written by David W. Allen and Jeffery M. Coffey, �?�..

This way worked nicely for me!!!   

Best Regards,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos