ScottChang25

ArcGIS 10: Geodatabase Tutorial by ESRI - Exercise 3 Creating subtypes/domai...Error

Discussion created by ScottChang25 on Dec 1, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 by canweb
Hi all,

I am doing Exercise 3: Creating subtypes and attribute domains for my geodatabase in my C:\argis\ArcTutor\BuildingaGeodatabase\Montgomery.gdb (in ArcCatalog 10).  In the "Creating an attribute domain", I completed Steps 1 thru 5. I am in the process of doing Steps 6, 7 & 8. I typed in all the numbers listed in Steps 6, 7 & 8 and I clicked OK.  I got an Error: Failed to update one of the domains. The existing domain type does not match that of updated domain - see the attached file for details.   I have no ideas what I did wrong in doing Steps 5, 6 & 7.  Please kindly help and tell what I did wrong and how to correct the problem. Note #1: I see that the Descriptions for the Domain Name "AncillaryRoleDomain" and "EnabledDomain" are missing!!  Maybe they are erased during my struggle in typing the Coded Values. What are the right description for the Domain Name "AncillaryRoleDomain" and "EnabledDomain"? Note #2: I counted the rows of Domain Name and I got 14.  I counted the rows of Coded Values I typed in and I got 13.  Maybe this is the cause of the mis-match!!??  

Thanks in advanced,
Scott Chang

P. S.  (1) Correction: I checked the rows of Domain Name again and it is 13, not 14.
        (2) I did type all the numbers listed in Steps 5, 6 & 7 again, and then clicked OK.  I got the following error message:   Error
                                 Failed to update one of the domains.
                                 The existing domain type does not match that of the updated domain.
The value being added to the CodedValueDomain already exists. [domain name:RotAngle, code name: 3/4"]
The value being added to the CodedValueDomain already exists. [domain name:RotAngle, code name: 1]
The value being added to the CodedValueDomain already exists. [domain name:RotAngle, code name: 1 1/2"]
The value being added to the CodedValueDomain already exists. [domain name:RotAngle, code name: 2"]

From the above error message, I can't figure out which domain is not matched.  Do you/ESRI people (who designed this Tutorial) know which domain should be corrected?  Please respond.
Thanks again,
Scott Chang

Attachments

Outcomes