Export map - no options for details, filename..

10-25-2011 11:07 AM
DavidRocha1
New Contributor
Hi all, this morning I was exporting from ArcMap to a PNG file. Towards the bottom of the window that opens when I click "Export map..", there was a little arrow to close the detail section. The detail section apparently contains the size of the graphic, the file type, even the name.

Now that I have clicked that, it seems to be gone forever. Now when the Export map window comes up, the window only shows files within the folder, and does not show the details arrow (to re-expand the detail section), or even the filename, graphic type or graphic size (see attachment).

I have tried stretching the window around etc., and cannot locate that now hidden section. Can anyone suggest I might get it back? I have opened/closed Arcmap, no luck there.

Thank you.
34 Replies
WillemVan_Riet
New Contributor
The same happened to me, very frustrating. How does one get it back? Restore factory defaults?
0 Kudos
JoshuaCrough
New Contributor III
One option is to reset ArcMap by deleting the Normal.mxt document found in: Arc 10: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcMap\Templates or in earlier versions: C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\Templates

I would either rename the Normal.mxt or create a backup first. The next time you open ArcMap it will be back at the factory settings.
0 Kudos
WillemVan_Riet
New Contributor
Thanks but still struggling. The only templates I could find was here and I don't see a normal.mxt. Also searched for it in the entire ArcGis folder. Very strange that something liek this can happen: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\MapTemplates
0 Kudos
JoshuaCrough
New Contributor III
To find out where the Normal.mxt is:

Open ArcMap and choose File->New.

The New Document dialogue box will open and you can make a note of the path to the Normal.mxt under the My Template pane.

I will attach a screen shot of what I am talking about.

Hope this does the trick.

Cheers,

Joshua
0 Kudos
WillemVan_Riet
New Contributor
Thanks. Finally found it. Seems like the AppData folder is not visible until you copy the string from ArcMap as you suggested.

C:\Users\willemvr\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcMap\Templates
0 Kudos
WillemVan_Riet
New Contributor
Unfortunately I deleted the normal.mxt and the problem is still there. Guess I will have to uninstill the software and re install. Cant believe such a small issue can cause such a huge problem. Stops one in your tracks as you cant even set what type of file you want to write out or resolution or add a world component.
0 Kudos
JoshuaCrough
New Contributor III
Hmmm, that is a bit of an annoyance. Never heard of your problem before and I have never heard of replacing the Normal.mxt to reset to original settings not working before. A bit of an anomaly I would say.

Well good luck and sorry I wasn't more help.

Joshua
0 Kudos
WillemVan_Riet
New Contributor
I even un installed Arc Gis10 and re installed and the Options are still missing!
0 Kudos
UmairCh
New Contributor

uhhhh after 11 years of your problem I am facing this problem now...it seems like Esri really doesn't like to take user feedback..... I am reading the comment section to find the solution

0 Kudos