janettelee

Projection and cell size problems with TIF files

Discussion created by janettelee on Sep 2, 2011
I am using ArcGISDesktop 9.3.1 SP2 Build 4000 (ArcView Licence) and am trying to run a vector to raster conversion.
I have a shapefile with Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_ETRS_1989 which contains a vector polygon grid. Each polygon is a square of dimension 0.05 decimal degrees and contains a numerical attribute which I want to use to generate a raster layer (of cell size 0.05 degrees).
When I run the Polygon to Raster tool from the Conversion Tools/To Raster toolset the generated output locates correctly if I generate an output GRID or IMG file (although the Spatial Reference of the output raster is <undefined> in both cases).
When I run this same tool but generate a TIF as the output, the resulting raster has a cell size of (1,1) despite me setting the value to 0.05 in the tool parameters, and is located in the wrong position.  I've attached a zip containing the shapefile and the results.
Has anyone had similar problems and can explain why is this happening and whether there is anything I can do about this?
Thanks in advance,
Janette

Attachments

Outcomes